how to market a property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to market a property

Hi, please recommend a site or agency? I'm looking for working professional tenants(ideally a young couple or with small family) for a two bedroom house in East London. found it expensive through agencies and not many successful viewings. is this the wrong time of the year to market a rental property?

It's not a great time - most people don't want to move before Christmas.

Perhaps launch it in the New Year.

I've found gumtree surprisingly productive (and free), when advertising a 6 bed student house. There were ads for professional rents, too though. I think accommodationforstudents has a young pro section, too. Also worth contacting big local employers, such as schools, hospitals, etc. Write to them with a paper copy of your advertisement and ask if they'll put it up in the staffroom.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by aNewLandlord View Post
      is this the wrong time of the year to market a rental property?
      I would say without doubt the very worst time. The good news for you - sadly - is that immediately after Xmas is normally quite good, as you get to pick up the debris of all the post-Xmas splitting-up couples

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        I would say without doubt the very worst time. The good news for you - sadly - is that immediately after Xmas is normally quite good, as you get to pick up the debris of all the post-Xmas splitting-up couples
        That's cheery, Eric!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Gumtree used to be great, but it's easy to get buried there now.

To get excellent exposure on all the big sites used by professional tenants (Rightmove, Zoopla etc etc) I've started using Upad. For me it's 90% cheaper than using a letting agent, but gets access to the same marketting sites they use. You also just have to input your details in one place, and they upload it to all the other sites. They also answer the initial calls and pass the potential tenant details on to you to do the viewing. They also have people who (for a fee) can do the viewing for you if you're not easily available.

I have no connection to them (other than as a satisfied customer) and I'm sure other similar 'agencies' exist. Any more like this that people can recommend?
          IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

The response from Gumtree isn't great. Upad comes with a upfront fee whereas other agencies are no let no fee. very quiet time of the year. viewings are difficult. is there a list of evicted tenants somewhere landlord can access as some kind of reference? one agency passed on a potential viewer with OD bank statements attached. and another one with salary stated 10K below the normal 2.3 times of required salary income.

Comment

Going through a similar agency to Upad, I was amazed to get many more acceptable applicants through Gumtree than Rightmove and Primelocation combined.

Make sure the property is well presented in the ad, and not overpriced.

As others have said, this is not the best time. Hold off for a couple of weeks - Boxing Day is supposed to generate the highest number of online viewings.

Comment

is there a list of evicted tenants somewhere landlord can access as some kind of reference?

I suspect not, but would love to know the answer to your question

Comment

I agree with Eric. The New Year is a good time too, and the third week in September after families have held together for the summer holiday and when the old routines kick in again they split up.

I use Visum. Last time it was £39 or £49 so not much. I got a good response.

I've tried Gumtree but not had a good response there.

Have you tried your local council registered landlord list? I'm on mine but only occasionally get responses from employed people, but it might be different in your area.

I put an advert in my van windows and park it in town.

Comment

I have had the most success with spareroom.co.uk. We've just filled 4 rooms, in 2 professional HMO, in under 3 weeks. We could have filled them several times over and had our pick of tenants.

Comment

Although upad charge an upfront fee, they will continue to market your property for 3 months (or until you close the ad) so if you can't let it in that time you will only have yourself to blame!

I wouldn't wait to start marketing it - there may not be many people around, but it only takes one. There may be someone who wants to line something up now to move into in the new year.
                      IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X