New tenant's references- how do I check these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiggy
    replied
    Of Previous Landlord - How long was tenancy, how much was rent, was it paid on time, was tenancy conducted in satisfactory manner, would they let to the tenant again.

Of Employer - How long employed, is their contract permanent, how much is salary (you may need to put this in writing or even have written permission from the tenant to obtain this information depending on the company)

Bank - phone up bank and ask how much it costs - they all charge a fee and it will only say the account is conducted in the manner expected - Don't have much faith in bank refs to be honest - looking at bank statements much better how do you know what the bank expects - they may expect the customer to always exceed an agreed overdraft!!!!!!

I am very cynical I am afraid - been letting agent for too long I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• stick2000
    replied
    I don't believe the references to be false - she works at the same office as my mother in law and has provided contact details for her line manager, plus details of the bank for a bank reference. She has given me her last months bank statement as well.

I have submitted a credit check this morning with tenantverify.co.uk so should have the results back later today.

What do I say when I phone up the referees? Are there any set questions I should ask?

Leave a comment:

• Tiggy
    replied
    References

You could just phone up the referees but are you sure you are phoning the people you should be - not unknown to have tenants give you false numbers and its friends giving false references. We do credit searches for landlords in the area who have found their own tenants for a fee - perhaps there is an agent you could approach to do a proper credit search via the company they use or failing that I would at least get the tenant to supply 3 month's bank statements for you to look at. Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• stick2000
    replied
    Can anyone help me?

Leave a comment:

• stick2000
    started a topic New tenant's references- how do I check these?

New tenant's references- how do I check these?

My soon to be new tenant came round last night to hand me her tenant application form and brought round her passport and bank statement. She has asked that we do the credit check on her and if it comes back ok then not to bother with the guarantor. If it comes back negative then she'll send the guarantor application form to her mom to fill in so I can carry out a credit check on her (she's retired - I presume this will not cause an issue).

She's provided details for references - I've never dealt with referees before, how do I go about getting them. Do I just phone? and what do I say?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
    28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
  • Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
    I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
    I do not intend to live at the property
    Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
    As its...
    28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
    28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by theartfullodger
    Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
    28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by Hudson01
    If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
    28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by jpkeates
    That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
    The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
    28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
    28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by DoricPixie
    I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
    28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
Working...
X