New tenant's references- how do I check these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tenant's references- how do I check these?

My soon to be new tenant came round last night to hand me her tenant application form and brought round her passport and bank statement. She has asked that we do the credit check on her and if it comes back ok then not to bother with the guarantor. If it comes back negative then she'll send the guarantor application form to her mom to fill in so I can carry out a credit check on her (she's retired - I presume this will not cause an issue).

She's provided details for references - I've never dealt with referees before, how do I go about getting them. Do I just phone? and what do I say?

Can anyone help me?

Comment

References

You could just phone up the referees but are you sure you are phoning the people you should be - not unknown to have tenants give you false numbers and its friends giving false references. We do credit searches for landlords in the area who have found their own tenants for a fee - perhaps there is an agent you could approach to do a proper credit search via the company they use or failing that I would at least get the tenant to supply 3 month's bank statements for you to look at. Good Luck.

Comment

I don't believe the references to be false - she works at the same office as my mother in law and has provided contact details for her line manager, plus details of the bank for a bank reference. She has given me her last months bank statement as well.

I have submitted a credit check this morning with tenantverify.co.uk so should have the results back later today.

What do I say when I phone up the referees? Are there any set questions I should ask?

Comment

Of Previous Landlord - How long was tenancy, how much was rent, was it paid on time, was tenancy conducted in satisfactory manner, would they let to the tenant again.

Of Employer - How long employed, is their contract permanent, how much is salary (you may need to put this in writing or even have written permission from the tenant to obtain this information depending on the company)

Bank - phone up bank and ask how much it costs - they all charge a fee and it will only say the account is conducted in the manner expected - Don't have much faith in bank refs to be honest - looking at bank statements much better how do you know what the bank expects - they may expect the customer to always exceed an agreed overdraft!!!!!!

I am very cynical I am afraid - been letting agent for too long I suspect.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123
            So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
            02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
          • End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123
            Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
            01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
          • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
            by bob369
            I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
            Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
            02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
          • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
            by bob369
            Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
            24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
            by jpkeates
            You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
            02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
          • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by Section20z
            The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
            02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
          • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by meehr
            For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
            01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
            by leasee123
            But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
            02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
          • Reply to who's repsponsibility
            by jpucng62
            Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
            02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
          • who's repsponsibility
            by madmaxwell
            Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
            02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
          Working...
          X