Landlord's agent will not replace defective gas boiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord's agent will not replace defective gas boiler

Two weeks ago a gas safety check has was conducted in the flat im renting, the certificate issued states that the boiler is unsafe and beyond repair, we were informed by the inspector that it was dangerous and should have been replaced months ago. Today i rang the agency we rent the flat from and they informed me that it would probably be ok for a while and i shouldnt worry about it. I asked them to let me know when the boiler would be replaced, and why they hadn't contacted me to arrange it, however i was told to stop being paranoid its probably fine.
    What can i do????

Originally posted by aaronandkrystal View Post
    Two weeks ago a gas safety check has was conducted in the flat im renting, the certificate issued states that the boiler is unsafe and beyond repair, we were informed by the inspector that it was dangerous and should have been replaced months ago. Today i rang the agency we rent the flat from and they informed me that it would probably be ok for a while and i shouldnt worry about it. I asked them to let me know when the boiler would be replaced, and why they hadn't contacted me to arrange it, however i was told to stop being paranoid its probably fine.
    What can i do????
    You are a tenant. Your L has broken the law (and the Tenancy Agreement).
    Ignore what the L's agency says, and put your foot down.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by aaronandkrystal View Post
      What can i do????
      Speak to the franchise owner, not his employee or ask to speak directly to the landlord.
      ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Tell them byy failing to do this they are breaching the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Section 11, ( you can stop paying rent to use it to have the boiler replaced yourself; conditions apply), also the Gas Safety(Installation and Use) Regulations 1998; where the max for non-compliance is 6 months in prison and/or a £5000 fine.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Your gas safety man should have put a RED NOTICE on the boiler and should have advised corgi that it was unsafe.
          If this is the case, the landlord/agent should have been notified on the certificate, they are supposed to deal with these things urgently.
          The agent is incorrect to advise you to continue to use the boiler it should be switched off and replaced urgently....!!

I would contact a local corgi registered plumber to give you an estimate ASAP and take it to your landlord/agent asap.

(As above Bel's response)

Along with a letter stating the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Section 11, ( you can stop paying rent to use it to have the boiler replaced yourself; conditions apply), also the Gas Safety(Installation and Use) Regulations 1998; where the max for non-compliance is 6 months in prison and/or a £5000 fine.

Comment

If it was deemed unsafe, is it not correct that a Corgi plumber has a duty to disconnect the apparatus?
            ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X