Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colincbayley
    replied
    I used to manage myself, but have off loaded onto an agent last September.
    I have known the agent for years and fully trust them, they completed the inspection on this one and then phoned me to ask what I wanted to do.

If I accept a tenant with a pet ( Cat, Dog etc. ) then I would always ask for a pet clause plus an extra deposit. My agent advised that I change this from deposit to rent ( OK with me! )

So I use the same procedure if an un-authorised pet turns up. I give the tenant the choice of either having a pet clause and pay the extra one off rent payment or lose the pet.

Either way, they are still in breach of the tenancy agreement and I would still deduct the cost of carpet cleaning when they moved out.

Leave a comment:

• Rhonnanne
    replied
    Something like that is supposed to be put into this letter too....!
    But i will have to wait and see my copy.

Did you do and inspection yourselves or did your agent go!!!
    what condition was yours in???

We are managing it ourselves. So curious.!

Leave a comment:

• Colincbayley
    replied
    I had this situation in one of my properties just after Christmas.

A letter was sent to the tenant advising that they were in breach of the tenancy agreement and that a pet clause would be required.

This clause said that a further off payment would be required (£150) if the cat was going to stay and that the tenants would provide receipts at the end of the tenancy to confirm that all carpets & curtains had been professionally cleaned.

Leave a comment:

• Rhonnanne
    replied
    Pets

Have been in contact with agents, they were as surprized as we were.
    Got hold of their property manager and we were advised to send letter telling them they were in breach, advise a spot check will be carried out in one month. If property is not in good state of 'cleanliness' (ie no cat hairs, smell etc..) Then the cats can stay, if not then the cats will have to be removed from the property. The agents are sending this letter worded appropriately with a cc to ourselves. Not too happy but what else can we do...!

Leave a comment:

• Poppy35
    replied
    do you have a letter from the agents informing you about the prospective tenants, their names, occupation, non/smokers, pets etc - if so what does this say
    have you spoken to the agent - it may well be the agents fault as they "omited" to tell you????
    might be worth trying to clarify these matters before putting blame on the tenants.

Leave a comment:

• nick..
    replied
    Allergies to cats are allergies to their fur, which would be removed as part of the end of tenancy cleaning process, subtracted from the tenants deposit if not taken care of by the tenant

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    Regrettably, some people are allergic to cats and such a property owner has every right to ban the keeping of such pets in their property. The tenants have clearly breached their tenancy conditions here which were made clear to them (I assume) before they took up the tenancy. They could therefore be obliged to forefit their lease under section 8 but such a process will be expensive, It is probably better to put up with the situation for 6 months and then get rid of them under a section 21 notice which should be served immediately. They only have a 6 month AST don't they?

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• DianeB
    replied
    Hi Rhonnanne,

Could you come to an agreement with your new tenants that they will pay for fumigation/damages at the end of their tenancy. Maybe get them to sign a 'clause' (pun intended!)

Leave a comment:

• nick..
    replied
    Totally. I'd take them to court, they'll definately rule in the landlords favour

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by nick.. View Post
    If you are renting furnished, fair enough

Otherwise I fail to see why you believe it is your right to stop someone keeping cats. It is their home after all
    [Alternatively]
    I fail to see why they believe that it is their right to break the tenancy obligations which they knew very well before signing-up. It is your property after all.

Leave a comment:

• nick..
    replied
    If you are renting furnished, fair enough

Otherwise I fail to see why you believe it is your right to stop someone keeping cats. It is their home after all

Leave a comment:

• Rhonnanne
    replied
    Pets

Just coz there cat lovers does not make them good tenants. Breaking the tenacy agreement on the first day does not bode well for the rest of the term does it...!

Leave a comment:

• nick..
    replied
    Relax, the cats won't do any harm

Pet owners are the best tenants

Leave a comment:

• Rhonnanne
    started a topic Pets

Pets

I have new tenants just moved in on Sunday.
    I had a phone call on Monday to say they have two Cats which they have had for two years. Which have now been deposited at the house.

The agents were told quite clearly no pets. On the contract it clearly states no pets, namely cats or dogs, how do I stand on this point.

The animals moved in on day one without prior consent.

How do I stand with the agents, as we are managing the property ourselves.
    I still do not have a copy of the tenants signed agreement or the Guarentors agreement.

Yours Rhonnanne

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
    by Lawcruncher
    I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
    27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
  • Is time more important than money?
    by jpucng62
    Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
    Garden was left in a mess...
    27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by MdeB
    That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
    Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
    27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
  • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by Beeble
    We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
    25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Lawcruncher
    The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
    27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by AndrewDod
    Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
    27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
  • Inherited a few rentals
    by Landlord7289
    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by DoricPixie
    Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
    27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
  • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
    by Hudson01
    Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
    27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
Working...
X