Concerns regarding moving into rented accommodation with partner, advice appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerns regarding moving into rented accommodation with partner, advice appreciated

At the start of October my girlfriend started renting a 1 bedroom flat from a landlord via an agency, she mentioned that we'd like to move in together in the near future to the agency and at the time they stated verbally that would be no problem. Now we want to move in together and the agency have informed us that the landlord wants me to fill out a tenancy application form, sign licensee/licensor documents, provide photographic proof of ID and cover the costs of referencing/background check to the sum of £50.00.

I can appreciate that the landlord wants to know who's using their property but this seems somewhat excessive to me, due to my current financial situation my girlfriend agreed to continue paying the rent and utilities in full until my income becomes more stable, so I would not be paying any money directly to the landlord myself. I can make small contributions toward utilities and rent whenever possible but this money is going to my girlfriend, not the landlord. I'm a little bit uncomfortable disclosing my financial details to the landlord at this time and I'm concerned that it will raise a red flag against me, potentially denying our request.

Hypothetically can I still move into the property with my girlfriend and decline a formal tenancy application? Could this put my girlfriend at risk of eviction if I fail to meet the landlords standards? This has all come as a bit of a shock because I've never heard of a partner or significant other having to go through this process.

I think it's worth £50 for the sake of not annoying gf's landlord by moving in anyway, isn't it?

Comment

I'd be tempted to say you'd fallen out with gf and will not be moving in. Then move in.

Comment

Originally posted by CASPM View Post
        Hypothetically can I still move into the property with my girlfriend and decline a formal tenancy application? Could this put my girlfriend at risk of eviction if I fail to meet the landlords standards?
        I suspect that he'd have trouble using this as actual grounds for eviction; however, assuming this is a standard 6-month tenancy, you'll be aware that the landlord would be within his rights to commence no-fault eviction proceedings against you as soon as April? Nobody can predict whether he'll be feeling sufficiently aggrieved to do so.

This has all come as a bit of a shock because I've never heard of a partner or significant other having to go through this process.
        Really not that unusual...

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          I think it's worth £50 for the sake of not annoying gf's landlord by moving in anyway, isn't it?

Indeed.

I suspect that he'd have trouble using this as actual grounds for eviction; however, assuming this is a standard 6-month tenancy, you'll be aware that the landlord would be within his rights to commence no-fault eviction proceedings against you as soon as April? Nobody can predict whether he'll be feeling sufficiently aggrieved to do so.
          This is exactly what I would want to avoid. Assuming all goes well for us and the landlord is happy with us, we'd like to continue staying at this property so the last thing I want to do is give the landlord a reason to turf us out in April.

Really not that unusual...
          YMMV I guess. In my personal experience and the experience of people I've known, most landlords haven't been too concerned about partners or significant others as long as the rent is paid on time. I think part of the reason we're shocked is that the letting agency are giving us the impression that my moving in is unexpected and a bit of an imposition when it was made clear to them at the start of October what we wanted to do. The letting agency seem to have a bit of a good cop/bad cop thing going on depending on who my girlfriend has correspondence with, personally I do not like them and would prefer to deal with the landlord directly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X