X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'returning property to original condition'

Hi all,

First ever post so be nice please

We're currently involved in a dispute with a Landlord and they are stating that we owe them c.£8000 to return the property 'to its original condition' after 9 years of use.

I believe this is very unfair, and they have edited the tenancy agreement to include this clause. However I think they have made a big mistake - as is shown in the picture - they have written

“You should read it carefully to ensure it contains everything you want and nothing that you are prepared to agree to.”

Written at the top of the paragraph in question –

“these promises will be legally binding once the agreement has been signed by both parties and then dated."

We have signed it therefore we are not prepared to agree (and we're not), am I right?TA2.jpg

Is this a residential tenancy?

When you moved in, how long was the original agreement for?

I presume you paid a deposit, which is not protected in a government approved scheme? How much?

Comment

Originally posted by KOA View Post

they have edited the tenancy agreement to include this clause.
      Are you saying that they added the clause after you signed the agreement? Do you have a copy without this clause?

Comment

What is the landlord claiming he needs to spend £8k on as a result of your occupancy?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
          Are you saying that they added the clause after you signed the agreement?
          Even of they didn't, it strikes me as a bizarre tenancy agreement - look at it, it says:

The T&Cs of this agreement include those special or additional clauses (if any) set out in section 6, below.

Signed.....

6.0 Special or Addition Clauses
          [...]

So (unless there are further signatures below the addendum), this document apparently gives the landlord carte blanche to add on anything he likes after the event. If it's a kosher agreement, why aren't the 'special clauses' simply inserted above the signature before signing?

Comment

Sorry for taking a while to reply, thank you all for responding so promptly! I can't really disclose too much, I'm afraid. It is a residential tenancy yes. The page in the photo is the final page of the assured short hold tenancy agreement the landlord gave us when the tenancy was renewed a few years ago. The deposit is protected but he has refused to give it back and has taken us to court. The deposit was between £1000-£1500. I'm sorry to be so vague, again I don't want to disclose too much.

Comment

A frustrating error on our part - we cannot find the signed agreement. We have a copy without the signatures, but not a copy with. There are question marks as to the validity of the signatures. The photo you see is of the landlord's copy that they sent to us. The copy we have has this clause too.

Comment

I take it you have counterclaimed for the value of the deposit?

Take a look at this http://www.executiverelocation.co.uk/blog.html?p=470

It is commonly held that 'betterment' is not allowed, but I am not sure whether the fact that this was in a 'specially negotiated clause' bypasses that.

Can you remember, when you signed the agreement, how long were you given to inwardly digest it before you had to sign it? What would have happened if you didn't?

Comment

Yep, in fact we've counter claimed for half of the deposit.

Comment

Again, without disclosing too much, imagine a complete flat makeover and there's your answer...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                      Even of they didn't, it strikes me as a bizarre tenancy agreement - look at it, it says:

The T&Cs of this agreement include those special or additional clauses (if any) set out in section 6, below.

Signed.....

6.0 Special or Addition Clauses
                      [...]

So (unless there are further signatures below the addendum), this document apparently gives the landlord carte blanche to add on anything he likes after the event. If it's a kosher agreement, why aren't the 'special clauses' simply inserted above the signature before signing?
                      Would you categorise this as 'unfair terms'?

Comment

Originally posted by KOA View Post
                        Would you categorise this as 'unfair terms'?
                        See my edit to post #8.

Looking at UTCCR I can see nothing in there that correlates, but the list is not exhaustive http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...chedule/2/made

Comment

Is there a way that I could message you privately?

Comment

Hang on, sorry just seen the private messages. I will pm you if that's ok.

Comment

Apparently I have to post more in order to pm, so I will do that tomorrow. Many thanks again for the responses.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
                                by DPT57
                                Its now impossible for you to deny knowledge of his presence and as its a breach of your tenancy agreement you could reasonably be expected to at least investigate it. The risk is probably fairly small, a taking jpkeates point, it may be sufficient for you to write to the tenant and point out the requirements...
                                08-04-2020, 12:36 PM
                              • Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
                                by skidder
                                I have come into a situation with one of my tenants. The flat is one bedroom and my tenants father has been repeatedly coming to visit. It looks like he is trying to move into the property as I have been informed by text from the council that there is another tenant at the address.(he has been coming...
                                07-04-2020, 14:07 PM
                              • Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                                by Washingmachine44
                                I meant he is a good man in that he only increased the rent minimally over a 5 year period. However, the house was such a dive that I guess he couldn't have done so without updating the interior....
                                08-04-2020, 12:17 PM
                              • Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                                by Washingmachine44
                                Hi Everyone,

I'm a former tenant of a property and I'm looking for some advice. I rented a property in London for 7 years with my GF and moved out in February of this year. I still owe 2 months rent arrears and this is being paid of in agreed installments through the estate agent. ...
                                07-04-2020, 17:54 PM
                              • Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                                by Washingmachine44
                                The only thing is the cited items are not junk. They are working items which to any sane objective mind gives the landlord the opportunity not to have to purchase these items at a higher cost. Setting aside the arrears, which is a separate issue, my proposal suits both parties, less financial headaches...
                                08-04-2020, 12:15 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
                                by skidder
                                Can you expand please?...
                                08-04-2020, 12:13 PM
                              • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
                                by royw
                                The ones I've watched round here have been withdrawn for sale once let. Houses with a tenant in place are usually harder to sell and worth less so anyone really wanting to sell is likely to keep it empty. Worth checking with the agent though if it will be withdrawn from sale if you rent it.
                                08-04-2020, 12:08 PM
                              • Properties for sale AND Let?
                                by Questioningtenant
                                HI! Apologies if this is a stupid question; I am rather ignorant in terms of a property being offered for sale and for let at the same time.

I'm a tenant currently looking for a larger rental property and I've noticed a trend in my area in recent times to place a property both for sale...
                                07-04-2020, 21:27 PM
                              • Reply to Discount request from tenant
                                by forest777
                                and according to Rentshield documents, our cover is currently useless as ""Rent Guarantee
                                Cover will be provided in respect of Rent owed by the Tenant where the
                                Tenant has failed to pay the Rent in part or in full on the due date
                                shown in the Tenancy Agreement and You are...
                                08-04-2020, 12:08 PM
                              • Discount request from tenant
                                by forest777
                                Good morning all.

Our tenants have just requested a discount. They have a guarantor.One of the tenants is self-employed but their reference from December 2018 says he had not submitted any tax returns presumably as the reference states he has been self employed for less than a year. The...
                                08-04-2020, 11:44 AM
                              Working...
                              X