Eviction: No paperwork??

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • meddy
    Thanks for the info,
    I have been informed he will need a court order because:

    1) The landlord does NOT live at the premises
    2) I have been alone in the house since November 2006 and have lived here since 1985.(i.e I am currently not sharing facilities).

    If you don't share facilities, the person renting a room is probably a subtenant rather than a lodger. This means that the landlord may need a court order to evict her/him".
    you share facilities such as a kitchen or bathroom with your landlord NO
    your landlord lives in the same building and you share facilities with a member of your landlord's family NO
    you do not pay any rent for your accommodation.

    Leave a comment:

  • Beeber
    I was responding to the central query on your thread about the rights of a lodger "Does he only have to give me written notice or does he have to obtain a court order section 21?"

    I will leave it to others to respond to your queries on whether a landlord's failure to pay tax or issue a rent book will have any bearing on the eviction process for a lodger but I doubt this makes any difference. They can perhaps comment on whether your status is different if the landlord no longer uses it as his primary residence. Does your brother work away from home or own another property at the other location, for example?

    This is further info from the Shelter website on Excluded Occupiers (lodgers).

    "What happens after the notice ends?
    Once your landlord has given reasonable notice and it has ended you can be evicted. Your landlord has the right to change the locks while you are out or may remove your belongings and place them outside to persuade you to leave.

    Even though it is not necessary it is good practice for landlords to get a possession order from the court to evict excluded occupiers. The court has no choice but to make a possession order as long as reasonable notice has been given."


    And a local council's advice site provides another overview

    Last edited by Beeber; 15-04-2007, 02:16 AM. Reason: To add additional URL and query

    Leave a comment:

  • meddy
    Therefore as there is no paperwork involved even though I have been staying at the premises since 1990 as a lodger no tax has to be paid on the rent.
    For example in the last 10 years including my self there has been three lodgers staying at the house all paying rent in 'cash and cheques'.
    Therefore you are saying as long as there is no paperwork or rentbooks kept by the landlord it is ok not to declare any of the income for tax purposes and you can kick any of the lodgers out whenever you please without a court order???
    My landlord has been collecting £190 a week for the last 10 years surely some of this is taxable?? I should of mentioned in my previous post that I alone live in the house now and my brother (the landlord) lives in Herefordshire.

    Leave a comment:

  • Beeber
    Your other thread indicates a more complex scenario than usual.

    Nonetheless, information on lodgers rights are detailed on the site and previous posters have outlined that being a lodger affords not much in the way of rights than being a guest in someone's house. Posters on this forum have often instructed landlords who experience problems with lodgers who stay past their notice period to simply change the locks and to call the Police if they experience any harassment.


    Consider calling the free Shelter helpline.

    Leave a comment:

  • meddy
    started a topic Eviction: No paperwork??

    Eviction: No paperwork??

    This new thread is relevent to the thread below:

    Bearing in mind the outcome of the above thread, I would like to know my rights as a lodger not a financial benefactor.

    As my brother who owns the house is the landlord (but has no paperwork, no records and has not declared any tax) and I am seen as a lodger, how does he go about evicting me?
    Does he only have to give me written notice or does he have to obtain a court order section 21?

    He wishes to sell the house before June 1st however I want to stay here as long as possible.

Latest Activity


  • Unlicensed and HMO and room size
    by zrux
    My area doesn't need a HMO licence for 4 bed property. The license is only reqd for a 5 bed and more.

    I have a 4 bed property which I rent out to students as a 3 bedroom house. The 4th bedroom size is bit less than 6.51 sq meters reqd for a HMO license and as a result I have never allowed...
    25-01-2022, 14:11 PM
  • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Sydaton
    I'm not saying that it's correct for the agent to add VAT (because it's a disbursement not a supply) but if they were adding 20% to the net price they wouldn't be losing any money.

    The sums would be
    purchase £100 + 5% VAT = £105
    sale £100 + 20% VAT = £120

    25-01-2022, 13:59 PM
  • VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by Affinite
    My agent collects rent from my student tenants along with a monthly utilities charge.as part of their "Bills Inclusive" package
    In the past, the utilities charge to my tenants has always included VAT at 5% (as per normal domestic bills) however the agent has now told me that his accountant...
    25-01-2022, 11:13 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by Hooper
    As a word of warning - it took my insurers two months to arrange a first inspection by their loss adjuster and five months to agree to lift floor coverings to inspect beneath after water ingress in a rental.

    As frustrating as it is for you, I don't think that your tenants complaining about...
    25-01-2022, 13:45 PM
  • Water Damage
    by Cheetah
    I have three 20-somethings in an ex-council flat in a block of six. A week ago they reported that the carpet and the furniture legs in the small bedroom had been damaged by water ingress. The tenant in that room had to move into the lounge. The council have accepted responsibility for the damage as...
    25-01-2022, 08:34 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by jpkeates
    Tell the council that you can't do what they ask and move on....
    25-01-2022, 13:05 PM
  • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
    by jpkeates
    This is a common thread.

    OP - What should I do at the end of the fixed term, let it go periodic or a new fixed term?
    Experienced forum member 1 - let it go periodic. Here's why...
    Experienced forum member 2 - let it go periodic. Here's why...
    Experienced forum member 3...
    25-01-2022, 12:52 PM
  • What to do at the end of an AST period?
    by jtufty

    I rent a property. The initial 6 months of the AST ends in Jan 2022. The tenant is very nice and she asked yesterday if she can stay on for another 6 months.

    Is it a simple case of just giving her another AST contract to sign? Im sure it is, but wondered if theres anything...
    28-12-2021, 08:35 AM
  • Reply to Water Damage
    by DPT57
    I think I'd be on the phone every day to the Council insurers demanding an immediate inspection....
    25-01-2022, 12:47 PM
  • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
    by jpkeates
    That's not correct, and I think the agent has either misunderstood or the accountant has been misinformed about what the agent is doing.

    And it's going to be costly to the agent.
    Output VAT is payable to the state, because it a tax.
    As the agent isn't actually adding any value...
    25-01-2022, 12:46 PM