Eviction: No paperwork??

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Eviction: No paperwork??

    This new thread is relevent to the thread below:

    Bearing in mind the outcome of the above thread, I would like to know my rights as a lodger not a financial benefactor.

    As my brother who owns the house is the landlord (but has no paperwork, no records and has not declared any tax) and I am seen as a lodger, how does he go about evicting me?
    Does he only have to give me written notice or does he have to obtain a court order section 21?

    He wishes to sell the house before June 1st however I want to stay here as long as possible.

    Your other thread indicates a more complex scenario than usual.

    Nonetheless, information on lodgers rights are detailed on the site and previous posters have outlined that being a lodger affords not much in the way of rights than being a guest in someone's house. Posters on this forum have often instructed landlords who experience problems with lodgers who stay past their notice period to simply change the locks and to call the Police if they experience any harassment.


    Consider calling the free Shelter helpline.


      Therefore as there is no paperwork involved even though I have been staying at the premises since 1990 as a lodger no tax has to be paid on the rent.
      For example in the last 10 years including my self there has been three lodgers staying at the house all paying rent in 'cash and cheques'.
      Therefore you are saying as long as there is no paperwork or rentbooks kept by the landlord it is ok not to declare any of the income for tax purposes and you can kick any of the lodgers out whenever you please without a court order???
      My landlord has been collecting £190 a week for the last 10 years surely some of this is taxable?? I should of mentioned in my previous post that I alone live in the house now and my brother (the landlord) lives in Herefordshire.


        I was responding to the central query on your thread about the rights of a lodger "Does he only have to give me written notice or does he have to obtain a court order section 21?"

        I will leave it to others to respond to your queries on whether a landlord's failure to pay tax or issue a rent book will have any bearing on the eviction process for a lodger but I doubt this makes any difference. They can perhaps comment on whether your status is different if the landlord no longer uses it as his primary residence. Does your brother work away from home or own another property at the other location, for example?

        This is further info from the Shelter website on Excluded Occupiers (lodgers).

        "What happens after the notice ends?
        Once your landlord has given reasonable notice and it has ended you can be evicted. Your landlord has the right to change the locks while you are out or may remove your belongings and place them outside to persuade you to leave.

        Even though it is not necessary it is good practice for landlords to get a possession order from the court to evict excluded occupiers. The court has no choice but to make a possession order as long as reasonable notice has been given."


        And a local council's advice site provides another overview

        Last edited by Beeber; 15-04-2007, 02:16 AM. Reason: To add additional URL and query


          Thanks for the info,
          I have been informed he will need a court order because:

          1) The landlord does NOT live at the premises
          2) I have been alone in the house since November 2006 and have lived here since 1985.(i.e I am currently not sharing facilities).

          If you don't share facilities, the person renting a room is probably a subtenant rather than a lodger. This means that the landlord may need a court order to evict her/him".
          you share facilities such as a kitchen or bathroom with your landlord NO
          your landlord lives in the same building and you share facilities with a member of your landlord's family NO
          you do not pay any rent for your accommodation.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123
            So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
            02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
          • End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123

            I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
            01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
          • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
            by bob369
            I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
            Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
            02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
          • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
            by bob369

            A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

            I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
            24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
          • Reply to End of tenancy questions
            by jpkeates
            You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

            The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
            02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
          • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by Section20z
            The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
            02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
          • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
            by meehr
            For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
            01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
          • Reply to End of tenancy questions
            by leasee123
            But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
            02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
          • Reply to who's repsponsibility
            by jpucng62
            Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
            02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
          • who's repsponsibility
            by madmaxwell
            Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
            02-12-2021, 08:54 AM