Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liability for repair of bath taps

Hello,

I am a relatively inexperience landlord, who took on a tenant who has been quite a good tenant overall since August 06. Recently, the bath tap shower extension stopped working - and he called me up to inform me of this.

His view was that it was a landlord obligation to pay for the replacement tap and the cost of repair of the tap. I looked at my AST that we have both countersigned, and it had the following text:

"4.4 Repairs

To keep in repair the structure and exterior of the Property and to keep in repair and proper working order such of the installations in the Building as the Landlord owns or has control over for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity) and for space heating and heating water, save in so far as the Tenant is responsible for these under the terms of this Agreement."

I have interpreted this clause to mean that the tenant is responsible for the repair and replacement of the tap fitting. Is this a wrong assertion? Is this clause common in ASTs? [I took an AST from a friend].

Any help or advice you could offer would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
    Kind Regards,

You are responsible for the repair of the tap. If it can be proved the tenant damaged it then it should come out of the deposit, but you'll have a hard time proving that.

Comment

Its always easier to see what the tenant is meant to do, from the AST. Everything else is down to the Landlord!
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Thanks to you both

Thank you both for your replies - I've also been able to confirm this with other sources, so I'll be the one who pays to get the tap fixed.

Cheers again.
        Kind Regards,

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X