New Landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Landlord

Me and my husband currently live in a 2 bed maisonette. We remortgaged as a buy to let and are buying a 3 bed house about a mile away which we are going to live in. We're going to rent the flat out.

We've had a prospective tenant round on Tuesday (Solicitor said to advertise now as we should be completing on the house at the start of May). She emailed me today and said that she liked the flat and would be interested if we would reduce the rent by £25 per month as she said it was too high for the area. We had an agent round a month ago who advised us what the rent should be which is what we advertised at. Anyway, I have sent her an email back saying we would be willing to reduce the rent by £25 so am now waiting her reply.

I've never let out a property before and I'm planning to do all the paperwork myself and have printed off AST and also the paragraphs that need to be inserted following the new tenancy deposit legislation. I know that I need to do all the credit checks, etc as well - I have got all my info off this site (very useful). I understand that I need to get the tenant to complete a tenancy application form that would give consent to me running a credit check. Is it hard to do all the paperwork yourself??

Credit check - do I go for the cheap one £20 or the one with the references (around £30)?

I note that the tenancy agreement needs to be witnessed - who would witness? do we arrange for an independant or does the tenant?

Sorry for the long post - I'm sure I'm gonna have loads of questions - hopefully you will all be willing to help me.

Originally posted by stick2000 View Post
    Credit check - do I go for the cheap one £20 or the one with the references (around £30)?
    Well you really need to get references, but it's up to you whether you do that part yourself or pay someone else to do it. Personally I DIY - usually end up on the phone as well as writing which can often really help.

I note that the tenancy agreement needs to be witnessed - who would witness? do we arrange for an independant or does the tenant?
    Well, actually an ordinary AST doesn't need witnessing at all, so from that standpoint, you could get the tenant's cat to do it! However, many landlords (myself included) still get ASTs witnessed because it impresses upon the tenant that it's a legal document they are signing, and gives it a bit of gravitas. I don't bother getting my own signature witnessed though - no tenant's ever commented upon that oddity!

Good luck

Comment

Thanks

Here's another question - if the tenant signs the AST before moving in which they actually will - can I get them to sign the inventory say the day before they move in as I want to include meter readings and we are moving out of the property a couple of days before they move.

Comment

Thanks

Here's another question - if the tenant signs the AST before moving in which they actually will - can I get them to sign the inventory say the day before they move in as I want to include meter readings and we are moving out of the property a couple of days before they move.
        Can't see any reason why not.

Comment

They might object - it makes it potentially awkward for them as theoretically they'll want to check everything again when they actually move in, to make sure nothing's been changed or removed since they went round the house with you doing the inventory.

I normally do the inventory when I meet the tenant at the house to hand over the keys... there's a blank space on the inventory where I write in the meter readings there and then, when the tenant and I have agreed them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
            by royw
            What does your AST say about it?
            05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
          • Dogs
            by Bridge2020
            My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
            05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
          • Advice on s.8 & s.21
            by Hetty911
            Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
            05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
            by Hudson01
            Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
            05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
          • Accelerated possession order
            by Pariah81
            A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
            05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
            by theartfullodger
            Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
            05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
            by Pariah81
            Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
            05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
          • Reply to Dogs
            by ash72
            The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
            05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
          • Reply to Dogs
            by jpkeates
            I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
            You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
            05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
          • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
            by jpkeates
            Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
            You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
            And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
            05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
          Working...
          X