Furnished property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furnished property?

I'm looking to rent out a fully furnished property but are there certain items, such as a television, which should not be included?

There's a television in the property already, which I don't mind leaving, but would I then be responsible for repairs or indeed to replace it, during the tenancy?

Any portable electric appliance needs to have a regular 'PAT' test, if you supplied the item, you would be responsible for the test.

Apart from items specified in section 11 of the 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act, you are not specifically responsible for the maintenance of any item. However, a court may find that you have an implied responsibility, and it may hack off tenants too. To get round this, include in your tenancy agreements details of anything that you will not be maintaining AND draw this to the attention of the tenant before they sign the agreement. Some tenancy agreements have a space for 'individually negotiated terms', which is an ideal place.

Comment

Originally posted by HB672 View Post
      I'm looking to rent out a fully furnished property but are there certain items, such as a television, which should not be included?
      It's entirely up to you. You're perfectly entitled to rent a property which includes a nose-hair trimmer but doesn't have an oven, if that's what you want to do.

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      Any portable electric appliance needs to have a regular 'PAT' test, if you supplied the item, you would be responsible for the test.
      Well, hang on - for a non-HMO at least, there's no compulsion for a Portable Appliance Test test(!), though it's of course true that the landlord is responsible for the electrical safety of his tenants and that an annual PAT is the recognised due diligence (ie back covering) in that regard.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X