Landlord reluctant to repair broken external door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord reluctant to repair broken external door

I wanted some advice/opinion from a landlord's perspective.

We moved into our property at the beginning of March. It turned out that the back door was broken and partially open to the elements. It couldn't be opened so we couldn't get out to the back garden.

The landlord promised me verbally that it would be sorted in "a matter of days" so I agreed not to have it boarded up then.

It took two weeks to get someone to come and look at the door, and then another two weeks to replace it. It was a full month before the door was replaced. In the meantime the whole door fell in. Fortunately my wife was there to catch it and they had it boarded up the same day.

This landlord seems very amateurish to me. When I remonstrated with them they complained that they were "at work" and that "this wasn't their job". When I complained about poor communication they got angry and said it wasn't their fault and they were let down by workmen. When I pointed out that legally they're required to resolve any structural/security problem with the property in a reasonable amount of time they really hit the roof and demanded that all communication be in writing because of "all the complaints".

My question is: is this a reasonable amount of time to take to sort something like this out?

It should have been boarded up immediatly IMHO and workmen found to sort the problem out in a matter of days. The fact that your landlords are working is not really an excuse - they seam to want their cake and eat it as well.
    I wonder what these landlords would have done if they had the problem that I had recently. Tenant telephones one evening complaining that her main water tap was leaking badly unless she turned it off thus had no water.
    My man sorted it the following day (the quality of stopcocks these days - the property was only built three years ago!)

It may be worth you looking for a new property with a better landlord.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X