Electrical Cowboys

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Electrical Cowboys


    I'm fairly new to this whole landlorderry shenanigans but i rent out a few properties and one of my tenants rang at 12 this morning (bank holiday) to report an electrical fault with her fuses in the house. After a brief discussion it turned out the main circuit was down on the house - ie still getting lights / heating etc but not the sockets themselves. After a brief analysis it seemed clear that it was more than just the fuse needing replacing so I got a local electrician in to locate the problem,rip up some floorboards, and get everything back in working order. To be fair to the guy, it took him 2 hours, he was there within 20 mins of me calling, he left everything looking pristine afterwards, and it was a bank holiday,, but he charged £200 for his efforts.

    What I really want to know is have I been taken for a mug ? and would I have been within my rights to ask the tenant to make do without her electrical apliances until after the bank holiday weekend (ie next tuesday)

    Any feedback would be much appreciated as I should like to know how to react if god forbid the same thing happens again in future.

    kind regards


    The only way to be sure of a good level of service at fair reasonable prices is to have your team of tradesmen lined up before such events happen.
    That way you will know what they charge for a bank holiday weekend call out.

    £200 doesn't seem unfair in the circumstances.

    Try to look at it this way, if you have a good tenant in place would you risk upsetting them by leaving them with no electric for 3 or 4 days over a long bank holiday just to save 50 quid?


      It's best to get Home Emergency Maintenance Cover; it may be on your Building Insurance already?

      If not, it's only £50 extra and will sort out any Emergency Maintenance problems when required.

      £200 for 2 hours work on a bank holiday is about the going rate! You should be lucky you got someone, in 20mins



        Yes the Home Emergency Maintenance Cover is best - the tenant can contact them any time even when the landlord is not available.

        Do you recognise any of these electric cowboys ?
        Vic - wicked landlord
        Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
        Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.


          Home Emergency Cover for Letted Property?

          Can anyone recommend a ‘Home Emergency’ insurer, for a property which is let out, to tenants?

          Many Thanks


          Latest Activity