No keys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No keys...

Since we moved into this new property, we do not have any keys to the windows, the kitchen window, kids window,living room window(one side) do not open, they are locked, and the keys the agency gave us do not fit...i have been on the phone to them about 5 times in the last 2 months about this...all they say is they will find out who/what company fitted them and get back to me..

We had to have a new pvc front door last week (the locking system had gone funny) and the bloke who came out told me that cos i don't have any keys, it's classed as a fire hazard, and for me to get in touch with the company and tell them all my windows need replacing as he went round the house and looked at them all and told me they are knackered!

I don't want to come across as being fussy, as this comapny do leave you alone, but how do i "be cheeky" with them without them thinking i am being funny? i can't be direct with them and tell them my windows need replacing! mainly cos i don't want to cause trouble.

Contact the Environmental Health Department of your local Council.

This is a fire hazard because means of escape in case of fire are obstructed and of course it means you cannot provide adequate ventilation to the property.
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by jinny View Post
      I don't want to come across as being fussy, as this comapny do leave you alone, but how do i "be cheeky" with them without them thinking i am being funny? i can't be direct with them and tell them my windows need replacing! mainly cos i don't want to cause trouble.
      Don't be "cheeky" or "funny"... just be assertive. It's absolutely right that this is a fire hazard. You should inform the agency in no uncertain terms that you expect this to be resolved within the week or you will be taking this further.

I don't know what reason the fitter gave for suggesting the windows all need replacing, but I wouldn't go there (for now at least) if I were you: it should be possible to simply replace the catches/locks which wouldn't be horrenously expensive (unlike changing the windows!)

Comment

A thought

Perhaps phone a locksmith...they must have experience of replacement keys for window locks surely? Perhaps he can open them for you and leave them open, even if he doesn't have a key to give you?
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys!

Yes, i'll give the agency a ring on tuesday and explain i need ventilation, as it's like a sauna in here with the weather, plus my eldest has been poorly, sick etc,and i couldn't open the window to air his room out the other day, so that's a reasonable excuse for me to sort it out.

I don't really want to go down the EMH route if i can help it, as the last time i did that with my previous LL, i got slapped with a sec 21!

The guy who said my windows need replacing said it because he looked at them and noticed the seals were gone in them, we get condensation in nearly all of them, he seemed to think they have been in for about 20 years, but i'm not too bothered about that as long as i have key to open them with!

Anyway, thanks again guys, i'll let you know what they say on tuesday. Jane.

Comment

Bel, yes i never thought of that tbh.
            But the only thing i'd be concerned about with that is, if i couldn't lock them, it might invalidate the insurance, plus one of the windows open quite wide and i wouldn't want the kids to open it and fall out! but i shall put that to them if they say they will get back to me...i'll mention getting a locksmith out and see what they say.

Comment

mention the 'c' word, (condensation), and those keys will be with you in a flash!

Comment

Originally posted by jinny View Post
                I don't really want to go down the EMH route if i can help it, as the last time i did that with my previous LL, i got slapped with a sec 21!

he looked at them and noticed the seals were gone in them, we get condensation in nearly all of them, he seemed to think they have been in for about 20 years, .
                If you ignore the section 21 Notice (Notice Requiring Possession) the Landlord must go to Court to get what is called a Possession Order.

The Court may not grant such an Order immediately if you made them aware that the notice followed a genuine complaint. A notice from the Environmental Health Department would indeed be evidence of a genuine complaint.

Having rented a property with sealed double glazing units you are entitled to have the amenity offered (i.e insulation and a view not distorted by moisture between the glazing units)

No decent landlord would serve notice because of the need to carry out repairs. The landlord needs to keep the property fit for you and for marketing to the next tenant.

Check your fears with the Environmental Health Department - under certain circumstances there can be protection for tenants when statutory notices are issued.
                Vic - wicked landlord
                Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
                Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X