AST- what happens if I don't renew expiring term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST- what happens if I don't renew expiring term?

We have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement that ends on April 8th. We have been sent a new agreement for a replacement tenancy beginning April 9th. What happens if we dont sign it? We are thinking now that the new agreement which contains various changes that were only communicated to us 5 days ago no longer suits our requirements. Will our tenacy agreement roll over to periodic basis if we dont sign? As the tenacy agreement term has expired, if we decide to leave, and are we required to give notice? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

The tenancy will indeed roll over to a statutory periodic tenancy if you do not sign AND if your landlord did not submit a section 21 notice to you to terminate your tenancy more than two months ago. If you have not received such a notice (you usually get them when you initially sign your tenancy agreement) your landlord must give you two months notice if he wants you to leave, and unless you leave on the day your tenancy agreement ends, you must give him one month's notice.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

In fact, a fixed-term tenancy becomes a periodic tenancy even if L serves a s.21 Notice: see s.5(2) and s.5(3) of the 1988 Act. The tenancy provisions and conditions stay the same unless L changes them under s.6(2) or s.13.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X