TDS custodial scheme now running!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nick.. View Post
    Whats stopping them not paying the last month and a halfs rent though? Less likely, I suppose, but thats about it, isn't it
    Yes, it's less likely. And because tenants usually pay in increments of whole months they'd have to withold the last two months rent in order to scupper the deposit process; and as tenants don't give more than a months' notice to quit, that's a much less likely scenario to happen.

Comment

I already take a 6 week deposit and have not found any problems with getting it from the tenants. I am using a combination of custodial scheme and the nals one - not filled in forms for nals one yet so deposits will go into the custodial scheme till that is set up and I have several oversea landlords so will need to use custodial for them. Problems I have forseen are only paying in deposits via either a debit/credit card or cheque - why not bacs although they did reply to my e-mail and say they are considering this method for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        Yes, it's less likely. And because tenants usually pay in increments of whole months they'd have to withold the last two months rent in order to scupper the deposit process; and as tenants don't give more than a months' notice to quit, that's a much less likely scenario to happen.
        Well, if they pay by standing order, I should imagine its quite easy to pay half the rent in the penultimate month, and then nothing during the last month, if they were absolutely sure they were going to be shafted on their deposit !

Hopefully TDS will put an end to dishonesty on both sides

Comment

I have tried to read up all the bumph on the three options and struggle with all of them. As always they never cater for all circumstances or make life easy for honest landlords. I have rented two flats over six years with a turnover of about thirty different people and never had a problem.

This is just an admin nightmare. Any experience from anyone to say no to the DPS free custodial service instead of the pay-a-huge-fee insurance based options. Anyone sussed a way of not doing the TDS but still keeping a landlord-safe tenancy agreement in place? I am new to this forum thing, so apologies if I have got any part of this wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by nick.. View Post
            If a landlord doesn't take a deposit, how are the hoping to cover the cost of any damage during the tenancy?

Seems a risky route to take
            L should insure. Try MARAS.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by cathie View Post
              I have tried to read up all the bumph on the three options and struggle with all of them. As always they never cater for all circumstances or make life easy for honest landlords. I have rented two flats over six years with a turnover of about thirty different people and never had a problem.

This is just an admin nightmare. Any experience from anyone to say no to the DPS free custodial service instead of the pay-a-huge-fee insurance based options. Anyone sussed a way of not doing the TDS but still keeping a landlord-safe tenancy agreement in place? I am new to this forum thing, so apologies if I have got any part of this wrong.
              Cathie, have a read of this thread. It will make it as clear as mud. Check out post number 68 which may be of interest to you.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=5468

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by theartfullodger
                a) so the mobile home does not provide the (very) basic facilities that any tenant or judge would expect for a dwelling....
                b) Agree with jpk: Should it get to court (which is when the issue matters..) can;t see any judge deciding it's anything but a tenancy & you the landlord er... not at...
                24-01-2022, 16:26 PM
              • Rent a Room scheme
                by lgr001
                I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
                24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                by jpkeates
                It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
                The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
                So things that need to be done at the very start...
                24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
              • Tenant in situ
                by Bridge2020
                I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
                Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
                20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
                by jpkeates
                You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
                If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
                24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
              • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
                24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
              • Regulated Tenancy
                by AVJ113
                I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
                24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
                by DoricPixie
                How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
                24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
                by jpucng62
                Unless it is REALLY cheap - don't!

I inherited a property with a regulated tenant. The rent can only go up once every 2 years, by a specified amount, although more often if you improve the property, but it will always be cheap.

Most tenants have been in a very long time and...
                24-01-2022, 13:58 PM
              • Reply to Tenant in situ
                by Interlaken
                Agree with above but if the property is in poor condition and the tenant elderly (or could be child of tenant who may be middle aged) then steer clear. I would definitely speak with the tenant.
                24-01-2022, 13:30 PM
              Working...
              X