Terminating Agreement with Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminating Agreement with Agency

I have a property which has been rented out to tenents for 9 months via an Agent and using the fully managed option.

As the tenants want to stay for several years, I have decided it may be better to deal directly with them.

When I mentioned to the Agency that I may terminate the agreement in 3 months time, the said I would have to pay 1 months tenant finding fee. Is this normal? I would have thought they arent entitled to anything since they have already have had full management fees after 1 year.

If I do terminate the agreement, how can I get a new tenancy agreement set up?

Look at the agreement you signed with your agency....all the information will be there regarding payments and termination.

You do not necessarily need a new tenancy agreement. the agreement goes periodic after the end of the fixed term; ie. a month by month basis.

You will need to do a lot of research if you want to manage your own property. It would be better to do this whilst you still have an agent.

Many tenants prefer to have a good agent to deal with because they treated professionally by someone who knows about letting.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Ive had a look at the terms and cant see anything that specifically says IM liable for additional fees if I terminate the agreement. Maybe they don't want to loose trade and are trying to scare me?

Comment

If they are not very professional agents, its possible that their written terms and conditions do not correspond with what they are telling you.

The simple thing is to ask them where in their Terms and Conditions does it say what extra they are asking you to pay for.

It is common for payments to become due if a management agreement is terminated before the end of the fixed period, or before the original tenant leaves the property. But they cannot charge you willy nilly for whatever they feel like. It must be agreed in the agent-landlord contract/Terms and Conditions.
        All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Our man in Pretoria

Gunnag, as already been mentioned, terms and conditions are everything; read what you've sign very carefully before you do anything rash.

A fair agent would probably insist on about 1 years minimum with 3 months notice. if you have given him 9 months commission and he insists on 3 months notice I think you will find that's fair on both sides. Remember, when he got your tenant for you he would have incurred costs which he absorbs through rental commission, usually based on a year.

If you are confinent with your tenant then go ahead but bear in mind, not all tenants are what they seem, look at this forum for examples.

You will save yourself a lot of money if you manage by yourself but you must know what you are doing, as has also been mentioned.

Good luck, rewop (our man in Pretoria)
          If you are not offended by what I say then please tell me so that I can try harder next time.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, the plan is to terminate the agreement at the end of one year. Im writing to them today and will see what happens.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X