Cleaning of property - what/how to charge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning of property - what/how to charge??

Hi
    We have had a tenant in our property for about 2 1/2 years. Overall, they have been OK, but they just moved out at the weekend & have left the property utterly filthy! 'Life of Grime' would be proud to film an episode there!

My husband & I have had to wash down every wall/skirting board/door etc in the house ... & the things we have found in the bathroom & kitchen are indescribable!!
    We will have to repaint everywhere as it is so dirty.

So, since we have undertaken to do the cleaning ourselves to get it done quickly, what I am wondering is how do we go about valuing that in respect of retaining some of the deposit to cover it?
    So far we have spent 7 hours there (& we haven't attacked the kitchen yet) - so that's at least 14 man hours, esp since I'd say we've been working harder than hired in cleaners would. Even at minimum wage of £5.50/hr (& I think we'd be lucky to get anyone to do it well at this price), this would be £77 .... + cleaning materials .....
    Is this a reasonable way of doing the calculation??

Would be very grateful of any advice
    Thanks

Originally posted by suejohns View Post
    Hi
    We have had a tenant in our property for about 2 1/2 years. Overall, they have been OK, but they just moved out at the weekend & have left the property utterly filthy! 'Life of Grime' would be proud to film an episode there!

My husband & I have had to wash down every wall/skirting board/door etc in the house ... & the things we have found in the bathroom & kitchen are indescribable!!
    We will have to repaint everywhere as it is so dirty.

So, since we have undertaken to do the cleaning ourselves to get it done quickly, what I am wondering is how do we go about valuing that in respect of retaining some of the deposit to cover it?
    So far we have spent 7 hours there (& we haven't attacked the kitchen yet) - so that's at least 14 man hours, esp since I'd say we've been working harder than hired in cleaners would. Even at minimum wage of £5.50/hr (& I think we'd be lucky to get anyone to do it well at this price), this would be £77 .... + cleaning materials .....
    Is this a reasonable way of doing the calculation??

Would be very grateful of any advice
    Thanks

Dear Sue

Just been through similar situation myself after regaining possession of a property!

I do believe I read somewhere that the rate a landlord can charge for this kind of thing is £9.25 per hour. I'm sure I read it on this forum too so chances are this is the correct figure. It's certainly the hourly rate I intend using to calculate the cost of cleaning and so will be making the necessaru deductions from my ex tenant's deposit!

However, re the painting & decorating. Given your tenant has been in your property for 2 1/2 yrs I would suspect some would argue that it was probably due for decorating (wear and tear). Other members might be best advising on that matter.

Happy cleaning.

J

Comment

Thanks! It's the cleaning I'm worried/annoyed about really so that's great news!
      Can anyone else confirm?
      Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X