gutterings - whose responsibility to maintain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gutterings - whose responsibility to maintain?

Does anyone know who is responsible for maintaining guttering - is it landlord or tenant? My T complained that they were blocked and that I was negligent, but an independent surveyor said the gutterings themselves were still good however they were full of leaves etc that had caused a blockage. The surveyor said he thought it was a grey area in law about who should be responsible for clearing leaves etc from the guttering so I got the impression that the surveyor was happy that I was not negligent however my T disagreed and said it was in the contract that the Landlord should clear the gutterings. Does anyone know for sure who should be responsible?
    thanks

Well the tenants assertion that it is in the contract should be easy enough to check. I am pretty sure it is a tenant responsibility, but would need to research before confirming.

Comment

Just out of interest, what does it cost to employ a surveyor to tell you that your gutters are full of leaves?

Comment

surely would have been cheaper to clear than to use a surveyor??

Comment

T didn't pay because he has legal help to pay for surveyor and I refused to pay anything towards the surveyor's visit but the overall price was around 500 pounds. There were 16 items of complaint on the list from the T that the surveyor had to look at but he was quickly able to dispel most of them as nonsense e.g. the T complained of a wasps nest but this was not something I had caused to make my Ts life a misery and the surveyor simply said there were firms who could get rid of nest for a small fee. Essentially all 16 items were dealt with in this way however the remaining issue is damp as it appears that there is mildew in property but I cannot see how I, as landlord could have caused this. My T is trying to sue me for Personal Injury as he says the property is damp. I have fulfilled all my LL obligations so not sure how it became damp or what to do about it. This was why surveyor was called out as we needed an expert in case the matter goes to court - and guttering came up as 1 issue of 16 that surveyor had to investigate as part of visit

Comment

The contract is a standard F302E. Item 3.3 says the LL oblications is to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the property (including drains gutters and external pipes)

does this mean the LL should clear out the leaves or just keep the gutters in good condition - even if they are clogged up with leaves?

Comment

You're counting the days till that s.21 notice expires, aren't you?

Personally I think that "keeping in repair" does not include what is essentially cleaning.
              In any case this does not make you negligent, I would think.

Also the wasp nest was none of your concern unless it was there before the tenant moved in. Wasp nests die out every winter, so any active wasp nest now must be new from this spring/summer.

Re. dampness I would remind the tenant in writing not to cause damp by e.g. drying clothes inside, and to keep proper air flow.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Mandating Wifi
                by spicelord
                Nice idea on using a MIFI as it gets around the whole issue of needing access to their wifi in the first place to connect to the smart devices. But then some tenants may also want to get the alerts, which is fine as long as the MIFI device is locked down and can't be used to access the internet for...
                24-06-2021, 20:58 PM
              • Mandating Wifi
                by spicelord
                Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before. I'm renovating following a huge fire in the property and I'm additionally going to install Google Nest Smoke alarms to send a remote alert to my phone as well as ring an alarm for any occupants. Unfortunately this needs wifi which is the responsibility...
                24-06-2021, 01:40 AM
              • Reply to Roof Problems
                by Hudson01
                Given your LL appears to have employed total Muppets he should be moving you out until the job is done, his LL insurance should have cover for alternative accommodation.
                24-06-2021, 20:04 PM
              • Roof Problems
                by Gary_236
                Been a tenant in my flat for 7 years. Been a great tenant, always pay rent on time. No issues at all. I like the location, it's close to my friends, so everything is fine. The property is a house split into 4 flats. I am top floor flat. New landlord bought property last summer. I started to get a leak...
                24-06-2021, 18:17 PM
              • Reply to Should I tell my landlord?
                by Hudson01
                I have seen this exact situation in my job....... look to move, it will not be resolved. The flats i dealt with were purpose built so you would have expected the correct amount of sound separation, in your situation that will not even be there, you will go round in circles, have lots of stress and probably...
                24-06-2021, 19:49 PM
              • Should I tell my landlord?
                by Bee82
                Hi all, new to the forum! I’m just after some advice as to whether I should inform my landlord about a situation with my neighbours. Just for reference, I am renting a ground floor flat that was previously a house and is now two flats. As it’s an old building the walls are paper thin so it can get...
                24-06-2021, 18:02 PM
              • Reply to Should I tell my landlord?
                by Section20z
                Yeah, why not ? I would want to know about something impacting on my investment. I hope you reach some solution...
                24-06-2021, 18:32 PM
              • Reply to Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs
                by patrick27
                No way I would replace or install a solid fuel appliance, way too dangerous and not environmentally friendly. Get some real nice ones on YouTube, that’s what I use at Christmas on TV…has everything…tree, gifts, fire even stockings. Just the job.
                24-06-2021, 17:52 PM
              • Tenant . log burner to replace open fire or electric night storage heater . Costs
                by AnthonyNorris
                Good afternoon.

I have a tenant at a house for 5 years now and had the chimney outside stack removed in March this year. Prior to this it was an open fire.

am I supposed to replace this with a log burner as it’s very costly for the installation, flue and liner and it’s...
                23-06-2021, 12:03 PM
              • Reply to Mandating Wifi
                by nukecad
                You can manually put them on different wifi chanels to prevent that.

Modern routers can work that out for themselves and set to a less used channel if needed, may take them a week or so to monitor who is using what channels and adjust....
                24-06-2021, 16:44 PM
              Working...
              X