A couple of questions please....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteveO
    started a topic A couple of questions please....

A couple of questions please....

So, I popped round to see how my tenant was getting on in her new property today. Straight away she bombarded me with questions about the place saying that if i wanted top whack for it, then i should consider getting them done.

Could I please have some advice regarding the following questions she asked me?

1. She says that the light in the bathroom should be enclosed as it's against the law not to be. We had a full electrical survey and testing done prior to her moving in, but the guy never mentioned a thing about the bathroom light, so surely she is mistaken?

2. The property also currently has an old, but fully functioning floor standing Gloworm boiler in the kitchen. She says that that too is illegal and must be replaced. But i've take a look on the internet and both Worcester Bosch and Potterton still sell floor standing boilers (albeit combi-boilers) Again, is she mistaken?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• SteveO
    replied
    Thank you all for your responses. Very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• dominic
    replied
    The only other thing to add is to ensure you have a current gas safety certificate for the boiler, as well as any other gas appliances (all should be noted on the certificte, together with flues).

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    I agree 100% with everything that jta and josh123 have said...

Leave a comment:

• josh123
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    So, I popped round to see how my tenant was getting on in her new property today. Straight away she bombarded me with questions about the place saying that if i wanted top whack for it, then i should consider getting them done.

Could I please have some advice regarding the following questions she asked me?

1. She says that the light in the bathroom should be enclosed as it's against the law not to be. We had a full electrical survey and testing done prior to her moving in, but the guy never mentioned a thing about the bathroom light, so surely she is mistaken?

2. The property also currently has an old, but fully functioning floor standing Gloworm boiler in the kitchen. She says that that too is illegal and must be replaced. But i've take a look on the internet and both Worcester Bosch and Potterton still sell floor standing boilers (albeit combi-boilers) Again, is she mistaken?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Unfortunately your new tenant appears to be looking for trouble from the very beginning of her AST.!

Issue 1 - Pure cr*p

Issue 2 - Tenant is looking for new boiler(more energy efficient) at your expense

From my past experiences as a L, I would be very cautious with such a tenant

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    She took the place 'as seen' you're OK. Neither of those problems are real.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deductions from tenancy deposit
    nick_noal
    Hi folks,

I have just had a tenant move out of one of my properties and I have conducted the move out inspection. There is no major damage in the property and everything is in working condition. However the tenant has a young child and the decorative order of the property has been affected...
    16-10-2019, 20:13 PM
  • Reply to Deductions from tenancy deposit
    MdeB
    is damage imo, not wear and tear.

may or may not be fair wear and tear....
    17-10-2019, 18:30 PM
  • Does deposit cover rent?
    Lawcruncher
    A tenancy agreement contains the following provision:

The landlord may make reasonable deductions from the deposit for any damage or costs incurred, or as provision for unsettled bills

Does that cover rent? I do not think it does since rent is not any of damage, costs or an...
    16-10-2019, 21:50 PM
  • Reply to Does deposit cover rent?
    MdeB
    That is probably meaningless for ASTs now that there is mandatory deposit protection....
    17-10-2019, 18:23 PM
  • Change in offer letter conditions
    Amnesiac
    Hi all

I signed an offer letter in order for the agency to submit my offer to the landlord of a property on the market for renting.

The offer letter states that the deposit will be protected under the agency's membership of the deposit scheme.
    I have now received a communication...
    17-10-2019, 17:28 PM
  • Reply to Change in offer letter conditions
    nukecad
    There seems to be 2 different deposits here.

The tenancy deposit is to cover any damage to the property at the end of the tenancy and has to be protected by law, and it is to your advantage if that is done by the LL rather by the agent. (For various reasons).

Any holding deposit...
    17-10-2019, 18:18 PM
    Jon66
    No I don't think that's right unless there is evidence to suggest the landlord is not going to protect the deposit. It is possible he favours a scheme the letting agents don't use and so he does the admin protection himself. Is it materially changing the terms of the contract? I'm not sure it is, although...
    17-10-2019, 18:02 PM
  • tenant with 3 kids
    abc777uu
    Hi,
    My current tenant has 2 kids and living in my 2 bed flat.
    the kids are a 5 years old girl and a 6 months old baby boy.
    recently, I came to know that the tenant’s wife is pregnant.
    by law, can they stay in 2 bed flat with 3 kids?

Please advise.
    Thanks...
    16-10-2019, 14:10 PM
  • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
    MdeB
    According to the shelter links, yes.

It seems that if the property was not overcrowded when they moved in, then they can have as many children thereafter as they like and it will not become overcrowded.

However, if there is selective licencing, then it may be overcrowded according...
    17-10-2019, 17:59 PM
    leaseholder64
    Because the offer that he accepted is not the one that forms the basis of the main contract....
    17-10-2019, 17:40 PM
Working...
X