What would you, as a private landlord like from your local council?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boletus View Post
    I would like councils to stop routinely advising tenants to cling on to a property and wait for a possession order on expiry of a section 21 notice.

It is self defeating in the long run as landlords who are subject to this treatment often refuse to let to DSS (sic) ever again. And they tell anyone who will listen to do likewise.
    Good point. We see this time and time again on the forum, tenants being advised to fight undefeatable possession claims to the bitter end.

Comment

Originally posted by Waverley Borough Council View Post
      Westminster / all

The broad aim is to work more closely with private landlords but we need your input to define exactly what that means.
      As a private landlord with non-LHA tenants, and as a landlord who complies with all my repairing and legal obligations, I don't 'work with' the council at all. The council is pretty much irrelevant to my business aside from the council tax for empty properties issue, and even that's a non-issue, as my properties are rarely untenanted for more than a week.

I repeat, what do *you* think are the potential issues? To say the aim is to 'work more closely with private landlords' tells us almost nothing, not to me anyway, as I've no dealings with the council concerning my tenancies.

Comment

Wait until they introduce compulsory licensing for all landlords...

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
          I would like councils to stop routinely advising tenants to cling on to a property and wait for a possession order on expiry of a section 21 notice.

It is self defeating in the long run as landlords who are subject to this treatment often refuse to let to DSS (sic) ever again. And they tell anyone who will listen to do likewise.

It is a short term solution that results in long term problems.

It is bad for landlords, bad for tenants and bad for councils.

I would like councils to follow their own guidelines;

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...841/152056.pdf

The Secretary of State considers that where a
          person applies for accommodation or assistance in obtaining accommodation,
          and:
          (a) the person is an assured shorthold tenant who has received proper notice in
          accordance with s.21 of the Housing Act 1988;
          (b) the housing authority is satisfied that the landlord intends to seek possession;
          and
          (c) there would be no defence to an application for a possession order;
          then it is unlikely to be reasonable for the applicant to continue to occupy the
          accommodation beyond the date given in the s.21 notice
          I would like councils to follow their own guidelines;

This is the point I stressed above, CC's are very happy to issues such guidelines, but never abide to their own standards..!!

CC's also appear to maintain a 100% interest in the tenant, but very little in the private landlord

Comment

Dear all

Thank you for all your responses so far. They will be fed back to the Housing team at Waverley.

I had anticipated much more on things like how to issue a S21, advice on tenants not paying rent, access to free templates for contracts, S21s etc, but it appears that most contributors to this thread are very experienced and knowledgeable landlords - rather than those who come on here and post a specific question.

So, if I may tap into your expertise and longevity on this site, if we were to develop a service aimed at the less experienced landlord, what would you say are the biggest issues that they ask for help on? (I have already trawled the Forum and picked out more recent FAQs)

Thank you again your feedback is very much appreciated.

Comment

Keep direct payments always or we will all go bust

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X