Problems with rodent infestation: mouse/mice/rats/etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by westminster View Post
    I'm sure I must have posted this link before on this thread, but here it is again
    http://blog.painsmith.co.uk/2010/09/...rds-liability/
    I tried the 'Search Thread'; no.

Leave a comment:

• quarterday
    replied
    Mouse problem

Get a pussy cat?

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    I'm sure I must have posted this link before on this thread, but here it is again
    http://blog.painsmith.co.uk/2010/09/...rds-liability/

Leave a comment:

• clumsykat
    replied
    Hoping someone can advise...
    We have had the pest controller in the property again today. There is a hole at the back of the kitchen unit underneath the dishwasher - and possibly one under the washing machine. The mice are getting from flat to flat due to the pipes we think.
    I have asked the management agency to put it to the landlord (big corporation owning all 15 flats) that the tenants may agree to paying half of the cost of pest control or even all of it if the landlord will then agree to the cost of proofing the flats once holes are found. Does this seem reasonable? Mice have been here long before many tenancies began and so I can imagine those tenants won't want to pay but we'll have a hard time of proving this I feel.
    Most holes will be at the back of kitchen units and due to shoddy workmanship and not because of tenants wear and tear but I'm trying to make the landlord see sense in that it is within their interests to deal with the problem and hoping to persuade the tenants to deal with the matter too.
    It will not work if everybody doesn't work together but if we dont get a handle on things we're going to be infested.
    Is there anything else I can do??
    Please help

Leave a comment:

• clumsykat
    replied
    thank you for merging the threads - there are some interesting points raised.
    From what i've summised then, the LL is responsible solely for blocking external holes etc. that rodents could enter the property through (which I believe there are but dont think for a second that's what's happening; more that they are well and truly established in the building )
    Tenants are responsible for dealing with their own properties thereafter.
    Is there anything then which relates to the responsibility of baiting and poisioning communal areas? What - if anything - can be done about the fact that other tenants don't seem to be bothered other than laying down traps and, as our neighbour explained today, when seeing them running and hiding in bed?

Leave a comment:

• Moderator1
    replied
    Several largely similar questions on separate threads have been merged into this thread (hence the repetitive nature of answers).

Leave a comment:

• midlandslandlord
    replied
    Originally posted by Grrr View Post
    Sorry to say, that if you have mice in the block, you are highly unlikely to get rid if them by hiring your own pest controller. They can get through holes as small as the end of a pencil (no really) so even hole filling is a challenge! And their breeding habits are impressive enough make rabbits' jaws drop!

Until the whole block is treated (and even then it may not do the trick) there are a few things you can do to put them off coming to visit.
    - get a few plug in anti mouse sonic devices.
    - seal all food packets
    - fill holes & gaps in food cupboards
    - never leave any food spills on the floor. Even a grain of rice.
    - keep the bin covered and regularly emptied
    - get a cat if the tenancy allows it!
    And a friend of mine swears by cotton wool under kitchen units with regularly renewed drops of lavender oil or lemon oil as they hate the smell.
    Plus mousetraps.

ML

Leave a comment:

• Grrr
    replied
    I would have said the building Management company. You may need other residents and your landlord to put pressure on them to act too.

Leave a comment:

• clumsykat
    replied
    Yeah we know - they are a nightmare. It's not so much for our property as we've got it narrowed down to where they're coming from and once that hole's been filled they should stay out - until they make a new one!
    Was more the question of who was responsible - if anyone - for baiting or organising pest control for the communal areas

Leave a comment:

• Grrr
    replied
    Sorry to say, that if you have mice in the block, you are highly unlikely to get rid if them by hiring your own pest controller. They can get through holes as small as the end of a pencil (no really) so even hole filling is a challenge! And their breeding habits are impressive enough make rabbits' jaws drop!

Until the whole block is treated (and even then it may not do the trick) there are a few things you can do to put them off coming to visit.
    - get a few plug in anti mouse sonic devices.
    - seal all food packets
    - fill holes & gaps in food cupboards
    - never leave any food spills on the floor. Even a grain of rice.
    - keep the bin covered and regularly emptied
    - get a cat if the tenancy allows it!
    And a friend of mine swears by cotton wool under kitchen units with regularly renewed drops of lavender oil or lemon oil as they hate the smell.

Leave a comment:

• clumsykat
    replied
    L's responsibility for pest control (mice)

Hello
    Seems like every house I live in has mice!
    We have a problem with our furry friends in our flat which is managed by a large company on behalf of a landlord (who's also a large property company I think) according to our contract we are responsible for removing pests unless they occur due to a structural problem in the property. Long story short we have paid for our own pest control with a reputable company as the agency sent round clowns who didn't know what they were doing at all. The mice were/are coming in through holes in the back of the kitchen unit which we've taken steps to fill and again paid for ourselves even though I think that's definitely structural!
    My question is this.... There are clearly mice everywhere throughout the building and have been sighted in the electrical store cupboards I have approached the agency about dealing with it properly and our pest controller has even been asked for a quote to deal with the whole block of flats (15) but the agency now say that dealing with mice is down to the individual tenants. Whose responsibility is it for communal areas? Is there a basic requirement for the landlord to deal with it at all?
    Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sad S View Post
    Er, no. I wasn't thinking of blocking the airbricks.

Obviously the point I was trying to make was too subtle.

I see !

Leave a comment:

• Sad S
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    Only a fool would block them in this manner - is that what you were thinking of doing ?

A fine wire mesh/gauze will stop undesirables and still allow airflow.

Next Q pls !
    Er, no. I wasn't thinking of blocking the airbricks.

Obviously the point I was trying to make was too subtle.

Leave a comment:

• Glovidge
    replied
    Mice problem

Hello

Yes unfortunately I seemingly have a mouse problem and I think there's more than one (although I am yet to see more than one at a time.)

I am a tenant and the house is an old 3 storey property and I live at the back in a separate flat. The main house is a 5 or 6 bedroom student residence. I have a funny feeling that the problem may have emanated from there but I fully anticipate the whole OLD building is now overrun with mice.

I have been pro-active and laid out poison in some cupboards and where I have seen mouse droppings, I have ordered a sonic repellent off the internet which I hope to have delivered tomorrow and have ensured there are no food substances/crumbs etc visible in the flat to attract them in. I have moved all foodstuffs into high cupboards and even moved my toaster into a place where it cannot be reached. I have also cleaned the kitchen and floors regularly and repeatedly.

I have also taped up obvious gaps with parcel tape as a temporary measure. Unfortunately due to the age of the house, the structure of the building and cracks in the walls and miniscule gaps between wall and floor it is nigh on impossible to cover up all possible entry points and all I can feasibly do is keep the flat as clean and tidy as possible and hope the sonic repellent and the poison work.

Basically I have done everythiing I can possibly do short of calling out the Environmental Health. Who would be liable for the cost of professional treatment for the whole building? Me? The students? Or the LA or LL? (one and the same btw)

Theres no mention in the contract of vermin control and responsibility just it is the responsibilty of the tenant to keep the property in a clean state to prevent any possible infestations. Which I think I have done.

Leave a comment:

• A.S.A
    replied
    Hi

thans for reply - Ive found the landlords address but no number, however it is only 5 mins from where we live. We are going to call in and see her now

the enviromental health officer has condemned the property for being unsuitable for human habitation!

I will keep you updated!

many thans for your quic response.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X