Problems with rodent infestation: mouse/mice/rats/etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets say I blocked the holes, does that mean thereafter the T should be responsible for buying their own traps and poison if the mice come back?

I thought that maybe we were responsible for providing the traps and poison, and if the mice kept returning due to the tenant not keeping the house clean, it would therefor be there responsibility?

Comment

Two things:

(1) The local authority have the power to serve (and enforce) notices on the owner and occupier of a premises in order to control pests, including mice and rats, under The Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 (c.55).

So, if the tenant is not taking any action to remove mice, then it's advisable for the landlord to do so -or at least come to an agreement to work with the tenant to remove the critters, e.g. borrow a cat for a few days.

(2) If the tenant behaved in an un-tenant like manner, e.g. left food debris that attracted vermin, and you have proof of this, e.g. pre/post tenancy inventory that proved no infestation before tenancy began, then you may claim (costs for pest removal) against the tenant.
      The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by holysmokes View Post
        <snip>

I thought that maybe we were responsible for providing the traps and poison, and if the mice kept returning due to the tenant not keeping the house clean, it would therefor be there responsibility?
        How can they return whether the house is clean or dirty?
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Sad S View Post
          So landlord should block the air-bricks which are there to help prevent condensation?
          And then have to deal with the consequences of the damp that'll be brought on?

Only a fool would block them in this manner - is that what you were thinking of doing ?

A fine wire mesh/gauze will stop undesirables and still allow airflow.

Next Q pls !
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

rat problems

Hi,

We moved into a property 7 weeks ago and soon became aware that the house was infested by rats.
            Initially the letting agent stated it was our responsibility to deal with and that previous residents have never complained of this problem.
            We contacted the EVO / pest control at our local council, to which they promptly came out. The guy stated he had been to the property previously (5 months ago) and gave a list of reccomendations. These recommendations had not been fully dealt with (basically corners were cut).

The main access for the rats is via our main sewer access point. Where there are holes in the brick work. The rats have burrowed through the brick work and have made a network of tunnels leading into the house itself. The sewer point was severly blocked due to non degradable products being flushed down by previous tennants.

The council guy was disgusted that the existing recommendations had not been followed through. He got on the phone to our letting agent stating our matter was a matter of urgency and also recommendend that a camera should be used in the drains to assess the situation or any damage that could have been caused. (once they were unblocked)
            This was over 7 days ago - to which the letting agent still had not sent anyone out!

Ive seen 3 rats in the property and today I have found evidence of faecal matter and urine stains under our sofa!
            Yesterday they was a rat in our loo!

I have a 10 year old daughter to which she has not had a full night sleep in days and this is now effecting her schooling etc.

I got on the phone to the letting agent today and demanded something to be done. They sent someone to clear the drains this morning, however nothing else!

my question is, due to the severity of the infestation are the letting agent/landord responsible to provide alternative accommodation for us?
            Im really at a loose end and dont know what else I can do?
            due to health and safety I feel it is unfair to keep a child in these conditions. With my family living a fair distance away it is not feasible to stay with them due to work commitments and schooling etc.

anyone have any advice?

Many Thanks

- S -

Comment

L is inescapably liable for the building's structure [s.11 of LTA 1985]. That includes:
              a. the brickwork in which there are holes; and
              b. the sewers.
              So you need to press L (not the Letting Agents who act for L) to rectify the defects at once. If you do not know who L is, you can:
              a. verify details from HM Land Registry, for £4; or
              b. serve (on Letting Agents) a Notice under s.1 of LTA 1985. Failure to reply inside twenty-one days without reasonable excuse would be a criminal offence on their part; whereas non-compliance with EPO requirements isn't.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi

thans for reply - Ive found the landlords address but no number, however it is only 5 mins from where we live. We are going to call in and see her now

the enviromental health officer has condemned the property for being unsuitable for human habitation!

I will keep you updated!

many thans for your quic response.

Comment

Mice problem

Hello

Yes unfortunately I seemingly have a mouse problem and I think there's more than one (although I am yet to see more than one at a time.)

I am a tenant and the house is an old 3 storey property and I live at the back in a separate flat. The main house is a 5 or 6 bedroom student residence. I have a funny feeling that the problem may have emanated from there but I fully anticipate the whole OLD building is now overrun with mice.

I have been pro-active and laid out poison in some cupboards and where I have seen mouse droppings, I have ordered a sonic repellent off the internet which I hope to have delivered tomorrow and have ensured there are no food substances/crumbs etc visible in the flat to attract them in. I have moved all foodstuffs into high cupboards and even moved my toaster into a place where it cannot be reached. I have also cleaned the kitchen and floors regularly and repeatedly.

I have also taped up obvious gaps with parcel tape as a temporary measure. Unfortunately due to the age of the house, the structure of the building and cracks in the walls and miniscule gaps between wall and floor it is nigh on impossible to cover up all possible entry points and all I can feasibly do is keep the flat as clean and tidy as possible and hope the sonic repellent and the poison work.

Basically I have done everythiing I can possibly do short of calling out the Environmental Health. Who would be liable for the cost of professional treatment for the whole building? Me? The students? Or the LA or LL? (one and the same btw)

Theres no mention in the contract of vermin control and responsibility just it is the responsibilty of the tenant to keep the property in a clean state to prevent any possible infestations. Which I think I have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                    Only a fool would block them in this manner - is that what you were thinking of doing ?

A fine wire mesh/gauze will stop undesirables and still allow airflow.

Next Q pls !
                    Er, no. I wasn't thinking of blocking the airbricks.

Obviously the point I was trying to make was too subtle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sad S View Post
                      Er, no. I wasn't thinking of blocking the airbricks.

Obviously the point I was trying to make was too subtle.

I see !
                      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                      W.Churchill

Comment

L's responsibility for pest control (mice)

Hello
                        Seems like every house I live in has mice!
                        We have a problem with our furry friends in our flat which is managed by a large company on behalf of a landlord (who's also a large property company I think) according to our contract we are responsible for removing pests unless they occur due to a structural problem in the property. Long story short we have paid for our own pest control with a reputable company as the agency sent round clowns who didn't know what they were doing at all. The mice were/are coming in through holes in the back of the kitchen unit which we've taken steps to fill and again paid for ourselves even though I think that's definitely structural!
                        My question is this.... There are clearly mice everywhere throughout the building and have been sighted in the electrical store cupboards I have approached the agency about dealing with it properly and our pest controller has even been asked for a quote to deal with the whole block of flats (15) but the agency now say that dealing with mice is down to the individual tenants. Whose responsibility is it for communal areas? Is there a basic requirement for the landlord to deal with it at all?
                        Thanks in advance!

Comment

Sorry to say, that if you have mice in the block, you are highly unlikely to get rid if them by hiring your own pest controller. They can get through holes as small as the end of a pencil (no really) so even hole filling is a challenge! And their breeding habits are impressive enough make rabbits' jaws drop!

Until the whole block is treated (and even then it may not do the trick) there are a few things you can do to put them off coming to visit.
                          - get a few plug in anti mouse sonic devices.
                          - seal all food packets
                          - fill holes & gaps in food cupboards
                          - never leave any food spills on the floor. Even a grain of rice.
                          - keep the bin covered and regularly emptied
                          - get a cat if the tenancy allows it!
                          And a friend of mine swears by cotton wool under kitchen units with regularly renewed drops of lavender oil or lemon oil as they hate the smell.
                          IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Yeah we know - they are a nightmare. It's not so much for our property as we've got it narrowed down to where they're coming from and once that hole's been filled they should stay out - until they make a new one!
                            Was more the question of who was responsible - if anyone - for baiting or organising pest control for the communal areas

Comment

I would have said the building Management company. You may need other residents and your landlord to put pressure on them to act too.
                              IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr View Post
                                Sorry to say, that if you have mice in the block, you are highly unlikely to get rid if them by hiring your own pest controller. They can get through holes as small as the end of a pencil (no really) so even hole filling is a challenge! And their breeding habits are impressive enough make rabbits' jaws drop!

Until the whole block is treated (and even then it may not do the trick) there are a few things you can do to put them off coming to visit.
                                - get a few plug in anti mouse sonic devices.
                                - seal all food packets
                                - fill holes & gaps in food cupboards
                                - never leave any food spills on the floor. Even a grain of rice.
                                - keep the bin covered and regularly emptied
                                - get a cat if the tenancy allows it!
                                And a friend of mine swears by cotton wool under kitchen units with regularly renewed drops of lavender oil or lemon oil as they hate the smell.
                                Plus mousetraps.

ML
                                Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                                  26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                                • How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by CharlesRiver
                                  I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                                  23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                                  26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                                • Council staying eviction needed
                                  by lostforwords
                                  My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                                  26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Any tips on a good one to use?
                                  26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                                • N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Good Afternoon everyone,
                                  Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                                  Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                                  24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                                  Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                                  26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

What a sad state of affairs....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                                  by gnvqsos
                                  The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                                  26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
                                Working...
                                X