Problems with rodent infestation: mouse/mice/rats/etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    why would you assume that the mouse droppings were cleaned up just before you got there as a deliberate attempt to mislead you? This, and your username makes you sound a bit paranoid to be honest!

    Maybe it's just one of those things, and you should just get the problem sorted. I don't see how the landlord could be responsible for getting rid, as the presence of vermin is most likely to be caused by the tenant's behaviour - food lying around etc.

    Comment


      Originally posted by ihatefraudandscams View Post
      im assuming it does not say anything about mice infestations (waiting for landlord to make copies) ... but surely one can not deceive you on the viewing day by cleaning up droppings..then later when contracts are signed the mice show up!? if this is something that is legal then the law is real messed up.
      Calm down. You will appreciate that mice aren't very interested in the law and they are no respectors of contracts. Infestations in rented properties (apart from fleas), are not always anyone's 'fault' - LL or T. They are just one of those things.

      If it is such a big deal for you, contact the LL or his letting agent and make a big fuss. Say that as soon as you moved in, mouse droppings appeared and you want him to do something about it. The problem is, by the time it takes him to get round to it, the lone mouse could have moved in his entire extended family.

      Borrow a cat for a few days. Much simpler. If LL complains, tell him it's a temporary measure.

      But as I said, find out where the mouse is getting in and block up any gaps/holes.

      BTW, you cannot 'assume' anything about your contract. Read it carefully. It may well make you, the T, responsible (many contracts do) for the cost of dealing with vermin unless you can prove that the mouse was there before you moved in. Which I think you would find difficult.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

      Comment


        Originally posted by owen View Post
        why would you assume that the mouse droppings were cleaned up just before you got there as a deliberate attempt to mislead you? This, and your username makes you sound a bit paranoid to be honest!

        Maybe it's just one of those things, and you should just get the problem sorted. I don't see how the landlord could be responsible for getting rid, as the presence of vermin is most likely to be caused by the tenant's behaviour - food lying around etc.
        I have some sympathy for your frustration with this poster but to be fair, mice will get into most houses if they can, whether there is food around or not. They particularly like making their nests in insulating material. You just have to make it too much like hard work for them, so they give up and go elsewhere. Rather like teenagers.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

        Comment


          Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Calm down. You will appreciate that mice aren't very interested in the law and they are no respectors of contracts. Infestations in rented properties (apart from fleas), are not always anyone's 'fault' - LL or T. They are just one of those things.


          If it is such a big deal for you, contact the LL or his letting agent and make a big fuss. Say that as soon as you moved in, mouse droppings appeared and you want him to do something about it. The problem is, by the time it takes him to get round to it, the lone mouse could have moved in his entire extended family.

          Borrow a cat for a few days. Much simpler. If LL complains, tell him it's a temporary measure.

          But as I said, find out where the mouse is getting in and block up any gaps/holes.

          BTW, you cannot 'assume' anything about your contract. Read it carefully. It may well make you, the T, responsible (many contracts do) for the cost of dealing with vermin unless you can prove that the mouse was there before you moved in. Which I think you would find difficult.

          good advice..thanks..i will complain after the bank holiday and see what happens.

          Comment


            Originally posted by owen View Post
            why would you assume that the mouse droppings were cleaned up just before you got there as a deliberate attempt to mislead you? This, and your username makes you sound a bit paranoid to be honest!

            Maybe it's just one of those things, and you should just get the problem sorted. .
            you have obviously not read my original post properly.

            you state: "I don't see how the landlord could be responsible for getting rid, as the presence of vermin is most likely to be caused by the tenant's behaviour - food lying around etc"

            this has nothing to do with the tenants behaviour - because like i said i saw these droppings after getting the keys..

            also has nothing to do with food lying around , because the house is empty..there is no food..i just got the keys.

            not nice to make these assumptions sir..and no im not paranoid i just dont like scammers..people should be fair.

            thank you

            Comment


              Originally posted by ihatefraudandscams View Post
              you have obviously not read my original post properly.

              you state: "I don't see how the landlord could be responsible for getting rid, as the presence of vermin is most likely to be caused by the tenant's behaviour - food lying around etc"

              this has nothing to do with the tenants behaviour - because like i said i saw these droppings after getting the keys..

              also has nothing to do with food lying around , because the house is empty..there is no food..i just got the keys.

              not nice to make these assumptions sir..and no im not paranoid i just dont like scammers..people should be fair.

              thank you
              You state it is not nice to make asssumptions, yet you do freely. You claim that you are not paranoid, doesn't mean the mice are not out to get you though. I don't like scammers or carrot cake but I do not need to declare my irrelevant dislikes in my posts. Who else thinks or would suggest you are being, or have been scammed?

              Some facts Ihate..etc. Mice do not know when a property is occupied or not, they forage and search and are incontinent, so where they forage and where they search they evacuate waste matter. The mice could have called after the keys had been handed over, maybe this was the first time there had been a visit? You don't know. Mice do look for food and they also look for safe place to live, somewhere undisturbed? It could be that by moving in you have displaced them. It could be they left as their AST was at it's end (joke). A mouse does not know that there is no food about until it has looked and searched and in the process left waste matter. It could be other mice that are visiting, not the original? To disprove this you could have the waste matter analysed for DNA to identify individual mice.

              A mouse can get squeeze through a hole the size of a biro pen, so take care to block up any mouse sized doorways.

              If you can wait until after the bank holiday to complain then maybe you are not that bothered about mice?

              A trap will cost a couple of quid and I have found that the best baits are chococolate spread or peanut butter.

              pm
              Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

              Comment


                Originally posted by property mongrel View Post
                You state it is not nice to make asssumptions, yet you do freely.

                my assumption is carrying some weight, whereas "owen's" assumption about "food being around the house and tenants behaviour" is absolutly wrong and carries no evidence whatsoever, and what basis did this individual make those statements?..so to repeat anyone can make assumptions but they must have some evidence..

                You claim that you are not paranoid, doesn't mean the mice are not out to get you though. I don't like scammers or carrot cake but I do not need to declare my irrelevant dislikes in my posts. Who else thinks or would suggest you are being, or have been scammed?

                talk about irrelevant..can it get more irrelevant than this

                You don't know. Mice do look for food and they also look for safe place to live, somewhere undisturbed? It could be that by moving in you have displaced them.

                i havent moved in..as stated in my original post it says i saw this after getting the keys.meaning as soon as keys got handed over and i opened the door, thats when i saw these droppings, and for you info i dont even live there now..nor is there food or my furniture there.

                It could be they left as their AST was at it's end (joke).

                irrelevant

                A mouse does not know that there is no food about until it has looked and searched and in the process left waste matter. It could be other mice that are visiting, not the original? To disprove this you could have the waste matter analysed for DNA to identify individual mice.

                you are obvously one of those dodgy landlords who seek to find any excuse they can for themselves...get a proper job.

                A mouse can get squeeze through a hole the size of a biro pen, so take care to block up any mouse sized doorways.

                irrevelant..my question was not "how do I deal or get rid of mice?"

                If you can wait until after the bank holiday to complain then maybe you are not that bothered about mice?

                many places are closed on bank holiday and theres a weekend coming up...but ofcourse you are a landlord who does not like to see tenants complaining..even if they are not your tenants..and so u must wright a whole lot of nonsense to make yourself and the dodgy landlord society feel better.

                A trap will cost a couple of quid and I have found that the best baits are chococolate spread or peanut butter.

                irrelevant again.

                pm
                Thank You
                ...........

                Comment


                  For crying out loud! All the time you are futilely gnawing lumps out of each other here, the mouse and his mates are probably gnawing lumps out of your loft insulation or the particle board of your cupboards.

                  Get in there and catch the buggers.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ihatefraudandscams View Post
                    Who's responsibility is it to get rid of the mouse? Landlord or myself..i have seen these droppings after getting the keys..on the viewing day there were no droppings visible (probably cleaned before getting there.)

                    Thanks.
                    This is your original question. Nobody with legal knowledge has come along to give a definitive answer. You can't tell us that your lease says anything about mice.

                    If the situation actually bothers you, do something about it today.

                    Assume responsibility for getting rid of the pests yourself. Any number of shops offer any number of products claiming to trap or destroy mice: most of these shops are open all day.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Sad S View Post
                      This is your original question. Nobody with legal knowledge has come along to give a definitive answer. You can't tell us that your lease says anything about mice.

                      If the situation actually bothers you, do something about it today.

                      Assume responsibility for getting rid of the pests yourself. Any number of shops offer any number of products claiming to trap or destroy mice: most of these shops are open all day.
                      T is expected to behave in a "Tenant like Manner" see Lord Denning 1953 http://www.letlink.co.uk/case-law/di...keen-1954.html

                      Tenant like manner assumes T will conduct the reasonable day to day measures that any home occupier would have to do to live in normal conditions excluding L's obligations under S11 1985LTA. This most would argue includes minor pest infestation.

                      Unless the contract states otherwise T is responsible for pest control unless L's negligence can be proven

                      Suggest OP lightens up, perhaps you should post pest orders on every entrance in the house to remind mice, flies, wasps etc. that by rule of you they are not welcome

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by ihatefraudandscams View Post
                        you have obviously not read my original post properly.

                        you state: "I don't see how the landlord could be responsible for getting rid, as the presence of vermin is most likely to be caused by the tenant's behaviour - food lying around etc"

                        this has nothing to do with the tenants behaviour - because like i said i saw these droppings after getting the keys..

                        also has nothing to do with food lying around , because the house is empty..there is no food..i just got the keys.

                        not nice to make these assumptions sir..and no im not paranoid i just dont like scammers..people should be fair.

                        thank you
                        ok i should have made myself more clear, i am NOT implying that your behaviour has attracted mice, i was making a more general point that IMO a landlord should not be responsible for dealing with such a problem as the cause of this problem is likely to be out of their control.

                        My point about your paranoia still stands though. Here's a thought, how about you get off your arse and sort the problem out instead of whining about it on the internet?

                        Comment


                          Problems with rodent infestation: mouse/mice/rats/etc.

                          Hi All,

                          My tenant rang me up complaining that she has mice in the house. I told her to use the vacuum I provided her with to keep the house clean. She says that she does. She asked me to do something about it.

                          I rang the council and they use to provide a free service but they don't now.

                          Am I responsible for buying the rat poison or calling an exterminator to get rid of the infestation or isit the tenants responsibility?

                          Comment


                            mice

                            Thanks for the link , seems like it's the landlords responsibility again!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by holysmokes View Post
                              Thanks for the link , seems like it's the landlords responsibility again!

                              Only to block any holes that allow entry of rodents - bit like a chastity belt if you like !

                              It is T responsibility to deal with prob thereafter.
                              A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                              W.Churchill

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                                Only to block any holes that allow entry of rodents - bit like a chastity belt if you like !

                                It is T responsibility to deal with prob thereafter.
                                So landlord should block the air-bricks which are there to help prevent condensation?
                                And then have to deal with the consequences of the damp that'll be brought on?

                                Comment

                                Latest Activity

                                Collapse

                                • Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

                                  Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                                  26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                                • How to evict professional tenant?
                                  by CharlesRiver
                                  I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                                  23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by DoricPixie
                                  The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                                  26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                                • Council staying eviction needed
                                  by lostforwords
                                  My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                                  26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Any tips on a good one to use?
                                  26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                                • N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  Good Afternoon everyone,
                                  Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                                  Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                                  24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                                • Reply to N5B Form
                                  by Truth
                                  I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                                  Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                                  26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

                                  What a sad state of affairs....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by gnvqsos
                                  The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                                  26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                                • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                                  by Hudson01
                                  Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

                                  Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                                  26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
                                Working...
                                X