Problems with rodent infestation: mouse/mice/rats/etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do manage to trap the blighters remember, you need 3 skins for a Davy Crocket hat.

I find a good air rifle dispatches them quickly......bit difficult in a loft.

Suggest you get the professionals in to bait and trap them.

Comment

Have Had similar problems

I have had similar problems but in my case I have owned the whole property which makes things a lot easier. Getting rid of mice in your flat alone won't get rid of the problem. The council need to send someone in to deal with the whole building, though the chances are that they will need to come back more than once to resolve the problem.
      Yes they love chocolate so definitely worth using that if you choose to use traps. We have started using the electric mice repellers which you need to plug in to the wall sockets - its early days but so far they seem to be working.
      My latest problem is rats! And now I have a tenant who brought moths into the flat with her in her clothes. We organised their removal but she is refusing to pay. She is a barrister and is threatening us with all sorts - never a dull moment in this business!

Comment

Mice

If my house is infested with mice, yet the LL does nothing even after constant complaining apart from provide those electronic sound things and block some holes, what can I do? Does it give me automatic rise to terminate? Is there a common law duty that the LL must abide by and provide extermination?

Comment

Because I know this LL will cause a huge fuss in trying to make me pay a penalty and I want to be fully aware of my rights in leaving and getting my deposit back.

Comment

It's a Health and Safety issue, really. What does your tenancy agreement say about infestation by vermin and who must deal with it?

If the Ll is responsible (as he seems to be given that he has made a start on tackling the problem) and you are sure that it is not your lifestyle causing the problem, contact the Environmental Health Officer who can require the LL to comply with his obligations in respect of this.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Under The Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 (c.55), the local authority may serve notice on the owner/occupier of a premises to control pests, including mice and rats.
              The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Mice

I am a landlord. The tenant has contacted me to complain of mice in the property. It is a property I used to live in for about 15 years and there were mice infestations from time to time when I was living there. I got rid of them as they appeared and found the electronic mice repellents that send currents through the walls (as opposed to the ones that just work room to room) pretty effective (although not necessarily bullett proof). The last set of tenants did not complain of mice.

When the tenant first mentioned the mice (probably around August last year), I explained that I had previously used the electronic mice repellents and offered to get some (over time the ones that were left in the property seem to have gone missing). They said they would sort this out themselves.

This was the last I heard about this problem until this week. They said that the electronic repellent they got did not work and they gave it away but were not able to confirm that they had purchased the type that work through the walls. I also don't know how long they used it for.

I am willing to get an exterminator in but worry this wont be a long term solution. The tenant does seem to keep the property clean and I know from own experience that this is a recurring problem. There is a next door neighbour who is an old gentleman living on his own in a council property. I don't believe the house is kept particularly clean (for example the garden is overgrown). There is also an alley way at the back of the house where someone is storing building materials which possibly is contributing to the problem. Behing the alley way there is a park.

I am looking for a long term solution since which properly means the neighbours taking action as well. Anyone had any experience with environmental health? Could they for example visit the next door council tenant and check to see if there is an infestation next door? What can I do to get rid of this problem permenantly (or at least for long periods of time). Also how should I deal with this problem for future tenants since I feel it will always be a potential issue.

Comment

I think your situation is totally unacceptable. I had/have mice in my currant rented property. I've had to throw out two good sofas because they ate into them. I tried to claim on insurance but they said I'm not covered for vermin!
                  My landlord does not want to know. If I were you I wouldn't move in. It's not your home it's the mices.

Comment

Originally posted by mishyanne View Post
                    I think your situation is totally unacceptable. I had/have mice in my currant rented property. I've had to throw out two good sofas because they ate into them. I tried to claim on insurance but they said I'm not covered for vermin!
                    My landlord does not want to know. If I were you I wouldn't move in. It's not your home it's the mices.
                    Not sure if this comment is directed at me or at the original poster?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybee542 View Post
                      I am looking for a long term solution since which properly means the neighbours taking action as well. Anyone had any experience with environmental health? Could they for example visit the next door council tenant and check to see if there is an infestation next door? What can I do to get rid of this problem permenantly (or at least for long periods of time). Also how should I deal with this problem for future tenants since I feel it will always be a potential issue.
                      There is unlikely to be a "permanent" solution. Mice can get into a house through a hole the diameter of a pencil. Gardens and parks have lots of mice.

They can be trapped, poisoned, deterred, or perhaps you could encourage tenants to keep a cat.

It might be possible to put a clause in the TA to make the clearing of rodents T's responsibility - has anyone got a watertight wording?

Or would you rather be involved yourself, so that you can protect your property?

Comment

Mouse Dropping in New Accomodation...

Who's responsibility is it to get rid of the mouse? Landlord or myself..i have seen these droppings after getting the keys..on the viewing day there were no droppings visible (probably cleaned before getting there.)

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatefraudandscams View Post
                          Who's responsibility is it to get rid of the mouse? Landlord or myself..i have seen these droppings after getting the keys..on the viewing day there were no droppings visible (probably cleaned before getting there.)

Thanks.
                          Unless it is a mass infestation, it is probably a lot simpler if you get rid of it yourself. Otherwise you will not only have a mouse running unwanted round your home, but a landlord as well.
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            Unless it is a mass infestation, it is probably a lot simpler if you get rid of it yourself. Otherwise you will not only have a mouse running unwanted round your home, but a landlord as well.
                            what if they keep coming back? who is responsible to do something about this ?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatefraudandscams View Post
                              what if they keep coming back? who is responsible to do something about this ?
                              If it keeps coming back it means you need to block up the hole where it is getting in (the mouse, not the LL).

What does your tenancy agreement say about infestations of vermin?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                                If it keeps coming back it means you need to block up the hole where it is getting in (the mouse, not the LL).

What does your tenancy agreement say about infestations of vermin?
                                im assuming it does not say anything about mice infestations (waiting for landlord to make copies) ... but surely one can not deceive you on the viewing day by cleaning up droppings..then later when contracts are signed the mice show up!? if this is something that is legal then the law is real messed up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X