Automatic Right to renewal of AST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Right to renewal of AST

If an AST has a clause in it stating that the tenant will have the automatic right to renew his tenancy only after 12 months providing the tenant has met the standard terms of his agreement, does this actually make a difference considering the fact that the tenancy would authomatically continue anyway after the 12 month fixed term? What is the point of the condition? With the existence of the condition, does this mean that the Landlord cannot serve Notice on the tenant 2 months prior to the end of the fixed term?

Originally posted by Mea View Post
    If an AST has a clause in it stating that the tenant will have the automatic right to renew his tenancy only after 12 months providing the tenant has met the standard terms of his agreement, does this actually make a difference considering the fact that the tenancy would authomatically continue anyway after the 12 month fixed term? What is the point of the condition? With the existence of the condition, does this mean that the Landlord cannot serve Notice on the tenant 2 months prior to the end of the fixed term?
    Very dangerous clause! If renewal INCLUDES that clause, AST could be renewable repeatedly- in some circumstances, even creating a 2000-year (YES, REALLY) lease. This is not a joke; see para.5 of Schedule 15 to Law of Property Act 1922!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Where did this AST come from?
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X