How much is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    We are beginning to wish that we had asked for a bigger deposit than one month's rent from our current set of students as the deductions we are hoping to make total £300 more than the joint deposit. They didn't trash the place exactly, but once you've ruined five carpets, kicked in a sideboard, pulled several lights out of their moorings, burnt three chairs, wrecked a sofa, made a hole in a wall and done virtually no cleaning for the entire tenancy and destroyed ten other smaller appliances/items of furniture, it does add up...
    Guarantor?

Comment

Lawcruncher - I would have more sympathy with your views if it were easier to evict non-payers.As the law stands, it is so hard to do so (and results in such high losses) that the only protection is a high deposit. Change the law in favour of the LL in non payment scenarios and I would be happy to take a lower deposit and sign an 5 year AST....
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        Lawcruncher - I would have more sympathy with your views if it were easier to evict non-payers.As the law stands, it is so hard to do so (and results in such high losses) that the only protection is a high deposit. Change the law in favour of the LL in non payment scenarios and I would be happy to take a lower deposit and sign an 5 year AST....
        I agree. I am sure that if landlords were asked what single thing they would like to change it would be to be able to get rid of bad tenants quickly. I am sure many would accept longer periods of statutory security of tenure for that. Tenants are more likely to look after property if they feel they are there long(ish) term. It is of course not so much the law that needs to be changed, but the procedures so that cases are heard quickly and delaying tactics kept to a minimum. More bailiffs are obviously needed. Section 21 could do with amending to reduce the number of notices declared invalid.

Landlords could reduce risk if they pooled resources. If ten landlords collectively own ten properties the risk is spread. The setting up of such schemes should be encouraged.

Comment

I ask for a month's rent for the deposit. This just about covers legal fees and damage in most cases.

My deposits tend to be lower than those in this area. I try and make it clear that I act on rent arrears without giving a bad impression (difficult).

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
            Guarantor?
            Oh, yes, we have Gs. It's not normally a problem. We've been unlucky with this group, I think. It will be interesting seeing how the adjudication system works, though...
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X