Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting to couples - how much more can you charge

Hi everyone

I own a flat in clapham and rent out a couple of rooms to lodgers. I'm considering renting out to a couple as I know that landlords can charge more for a couple as opposed to a single person taking the room. The rent (excluding bills) is £560pcm. I have dipped my toe in the water at one and a half times rent (£840) for a couple but it has been out of the budget for the 2 couples who have viewed it so far.

I was wondering if there were any rule of thumb that landlords applied in this sort of situation to work out how much extra they should charge? I suspect the the answer depends on many factors though so there may not be one simple answer.. it may be a case of "how long is a piece of string" ! I note from looking at gumtree that sometimes people do charge more for a couple and sometimes they don't.

The flat itself has only one bathroom a small-ish lounge/kitchen area and the room itself is a reasonable sized double but not especially spacious. On the plus side the flat is split level, 5 mins to clapham north tube station, all mod cons and by all accounts a lovely victorian flat.

Any thoughts / experiences you could share would be really gratefully received !

Many thanks

Michael

Couples who rent a room do so because they want it to be cheaper not more expensive than for a single couple.

They could afford a small studio/1 bed for the £840 you are asking in that area. I wouldn't charge any more than £300pppw for that room max.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
      Couples who rent a room do so because they want it to be cheaper not more expensive than for a single couple.

They could afford a small studio/1 bed for the £840 you are asking in that area. I wouldn't charge any more than £300pppw for that room max.
      Is that not a contradiction in terminology attila? Or is it me misreading something?

J

Comment

I agree, but I think attila means £300PPPM not per week.
        In my part of the world £800+ would get you a 3/4 bed house plus change for the train ticket into London!!

Comment

Sorry about that the old brain is a bit slow off the mark this morning!

Yes to a single to person not a couple and yes £300pppm!

Now all I need is caffeine to function!

Comment

Sorry about that the old brain is a bit slow off the mark this morning!

Yes to a single to person not a couple and yes £300pppm!

Now all I need is caffeine to function!

Have this one on me attila!

J

Comment

Thanks! I needed that!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X