Can my landlord ask for carpet replacement or can it be carpet repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can my landlord ask for carpet replacement or can it be carpet repair?

Hi everyone. I have got a few questions about carpet damage and would like to see if anyone can provide me with some advice.

I have rented a house from a private landlord but accidentaly I have burnt a small patch of carpet with a hair dryer in one of the bedrooms (The burn looks like a hollow oval shape, the estimated length and width of it are 20cm and 5cm respectively). My LL has suggested three options.

1. Try to get it out with a diluted bleach solution.
    2. Try to steam clean it (which will cost about £35).
    3. To replace the carpet (which will cost about £220 according to my LL). He has completely ruled out repairing the carpet with a spare patch. He also mentioned to me that the carpet was brand new when I moved in in July 2012.

Please don't get me wrong, I am happy to pay for the cost of the damage but I would like to go for the most cost-effective way as I am only a university student. Which option should I go for in this case? Do I need to pay for all the cost for the repair if the LL ends up going for option 3?

Many thanks

Cleaning products are only useful for stains. If you have burnt the carpet no cleaning product on this earth will remedy the damage. That sounds like a large burn and unless the carpet is pure wool I would guess you have melted the fibres as well as burning them. Such damage cannot be mended invisibly and given that the carpet was new a year ago (ask for evidence of this, theLL is justified in asking for virtually the full cost (say 90%) of replacement including fitting.

Alternatively if you are insured for accidental damage by you to your LL's possessions, claim on that policy.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I take it the burn is obvious in an open location.
      How long before you expect to move out/left on your fixed term?
      You could wait until T ends, giving you time to save for replacement carpet when LL claims for damage from your deposit.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I am about to move out in three weeks and from the e-mails that I have got from the LL, he said he wanted to arrange all the replacement by himself.

Is it worth getting an adjudicator/ a carpet expert to decide on what will be the way to do with the carpet? And just out of interest, why do you think he prefers replacing all the carpet in the room to just replacing the damaged area with another patch of spare carpet? (There is spare left in the loft.) I was just thinking about it as replacing the damaged part sounds more environmentally friendly since the carpet is relatively new and the rest is perfect. Also, quite a lot of 'carpet doctors' offer patch replacement services.

ps
        1. it is located in an open area
        2. Unfortunately I haven't got any insurance to cover this

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas39 View Post
          why do you think he prefers replacing all the carpet in the room to just replacing the damaged area with another patch of spare carpet?
          Most likely because he doesn't think it will look as good as it did before; ie it will be an obvious 'patch'; and if that ended up being the case I would agree with him. However, apparently professionals are often able to make invisible repairs; eg look at http://carpetsurgeon.co.uk/repairs, and if that's genuinely the case I don't think he has any justification for refusing to allow a repair. (NB I have no personal experience of this; nor do I know anything about the above linked company other than their website).

I was just thinking about it as replacing the damaged part sounds more environmentally friendly since the carpet is relatively new and the rest is perfect.
          I should forget that one if I were you, that definitely won't wash!

If you do end up having to shell out on a new carpet, make sure you don't pay for unnecessary new underlay (which often costs as much as the actual carpet) and there should be an allowance made for the fact that it's a year old now; eg, if it was expected to have lasted *holds finger in air* 6 years before needing replacing, then you should pay five-sixths of the cost.

Comment

If T is ongoing the OP has opportunity to repair. A bodged/unacceptable repair will be detected by move out inspection, leading to claim for cost of replacement carpet. LL has no obligation to replace or repair, any proposed deduction is to compensate LL for estimated loss of future rental income caused by T damage. If T feels proposed deduction is not 'reasonable' then they can apply to DPS ADR or SCC to adjudicate, when LL will be required to show deduction is 'reasonable'.
            A carpet burn is T damage and not fair wear & tear.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
              If T is ongoing the OP has opportunity to repair. A bodged/unacceptable repair will be detected by move out inspection, leading to claim for cost of replacement carpet.
              Indeed: so the OP's route (if he chooses) would be just go ahead and have a repair done, but will take the risk that the result will be detectable... if the lanldlord decides that it is, and deducts money from the deposit then that would be the time for the OP go to arbitration and have a third party decide whether the repair's OK or not.

But this way the OP risks paying for a repair and a replacement.

Comment

This guide is worth reading: http://www.peachenergy.co.uk/Damage%...20Deposits.pdf Go to the section headed "Example of Useful Lifespan".

Comment

That's a useful guide indeed.

What would you consider the life expectancy of a chest of drawers?
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

It depends on the quality.

An example: In my bedroom we have two chests of drawers - one an Argos cheapy bought in 2010, the other a Schreiber (sp?) that was in my bedroom (at family home) since at least 1985. The Argos cheapy is falling apart and will need replacing the next time we move. The other one is showing minimal signs of wear and I expect it to do another few years.

Comment

Yes, I agree in principle with that, but the chest of drawers in question is an IKEA one (Aspelund) with metal runners. We bought 6 when we set the rental house up 7 years ago and they are all still in near-perfect condition except for the smashed one (an accident by persons unknown during a party, apparently).

They were not horribly expensive, but seem robust and have stood up to normal daily use over seven years with no problems.

What percentage of the cost of a replacement can I reasonably charge? The other problem is that they don't seem to sell them any more so whatever I buy I'll be left with a non-matching set (of wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside cabinet)...but hey, I like mismatching things!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X