Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business address

Hello! Thanks for reading this.

My contract (England) does not permit me to use my home as a business: “Must not use the property as anything other than a private home. Or allow anyone else to conduct any profession, trade or business or promote by way of poster or signage on or in the property.” I am self-employed and need an address that I can give to HMRC as a business address. I know that I do not need a registered office. I thought that the mail forwarding service would be an option for me, but some of them do not allow me to use their office for HMRC correspondence. I was wondering whether it would breach the contract if I was to give my home address as a correspondence (business) address? I do not conduct any business in the property, I simply want them to reach me at my home address.
    We cannot ask the landlord, as she is not quite normal.

Giving your address as a place of contact for your business, and using it as a place of business are two different things.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Merely using the property as a correspondence address for business is not a breach of the clause quoted. In any event, clauses prohibiting business use have to be interpreted on a "common sense" basis and come down to a question of degree. If you run a business elsewhere and do your VAT returns on the dining room table that would not be a breach of the clause. A rule of thumb test is to ask: Would I need planning permission to do this? If the answer is "no" then you are not likely to be in breach of any standard clause prohibiting business use.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X