Precise correct wording for a Section 8 & 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Precise correct wording for a Section 8 & 21

    As you may have read on another thread, I need to serve an 8 & a 21.
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=5482
    The rent was due on 3rd March. It's a shorthold assured tenancy which is beyond the 6 months period. The payment is monthly. The chap has financial probs & is seeking advice, but meantime I need to get the process underway in case he can't stump up the rent.
    So clearly I can word the section 8 as 'non payment of rent'...... or can I ?
    How precisely should I word these two orders, including what timeframes & dates do I put in ?
    Only precise wording though. No speculation or guesses please.
    If no one knows the right wording with confidence then that's absolutely fine, I'll just have to contact a solicitor.
    Thanks in anticipation for any advice on correct wording.

  • #2
    Go to the following link and you will find the details you require free of charge!

    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/agreements.htm
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

    Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

    Comment


    • #3
      The Grounds for eviction seem vague.
      Either I wait for him to default on two months rent, according to ground 8. In which case surely the Section 8 is no faster than a 21. Or I can go for ground 11 'the tenant has persistently delayed paying rent which has become lawfully due.'
      However ground 9 worries me. It mentions of the need for him to have other accomodation available before the court can order a possesion.
      That could take years !

      "Ground 8: rent arrears
      Both at the date of the service of the notice under section 8 of this Act relating to the proceedings for possession and at the date of the hearing
      (a) if rent is payable weekly or fortnightly, at least [eight weeks]’ rent is unpaid;
      (b) if rent is payable monthly, at least [two months]’ rent is unpaid;
      (c) if rent is payable quarterly, at least one quarter’s rent is more than three months in arrears; and
      (d) if rent is payable yearly, at least three months’ rent is more than three months in arrears;
      and for the purpose of this ground "rent" means rent lawfully due from the tenant.

      Part II - Grounds on which Court may Order Possession
      Ground 9: suitable alternative accommodation
      Suitable alternative accommodation is available for the tenant or will be available for him when the order for possession takes effect.

      Ground 10: rent arrears
      Some rent lawfully due from the tenant
      (a) is unpaid on the date on which the proceedings for possession are begun; and
      (b) except where subsection (1)(b) of section 8 of this Act applies, was in arrears at the date of the service of the notice under that section relating to those proceedings.

      Ground 11: rent arrears
      Whether or not any rent is in arrears on the date on which proceedings for possession are begun, the tenant has persistently delayed paying rent which has become lawfully due. "

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Robin View Post
        The Grounds for eviction seem vague.
        Either I wait for him to default on two months rent, according to ground 8. In which case surely the Section 8 is no faster than a 21. Or I can go for ground 11 'the tenant has persistently delayed paying rent which has become lawfully due.'
        However ground 9 worries me. It mentions of the need for him to have other accomodation available before the court can order a possesion.
        That could take years !

        "Ground 8: rent arrears
        Both at the date of the service of the notice under section 8 of this Act relating to the proceedings for possession and at the date of the hearing
        (a) if rent is payable weekly or fortnightly, at least [eight weeks]’ rent is unpaid;
        (b) if rent is payable monthly, at least [two months]’ rent is unpaid;
        (c) if rent is payable quarterly, at least one quarter’s rent is more than three months in arrears; and
        (d) if rent is payable yearly, at least three months’ rent is more than three months in arrears;
        and for the purpose of this ground "rent" means rent lawfully due from the tenant.

        Part II - Grounds on which Court may Order Possession
        Ground 9: suitable alternative accommodation
        Suitable alternative accommodation is available for the tenant or will be available for him when the order for possession takes effect.

        Ground 10: rent arrears
        Some rent lawfully due from the tenant
        (a) is unpaid on the date on which the proceedings for possession are begun; and
        (b) except where subsection (1)(b) of section 8 of this Act applies, was in arrears at the date of the service of the notice under that section relating to those proceedings.

        Ground 11: rent arrears
        Whether or not any rent is in arrears on the date on which proceedings for possession are begun, the tenant has persistently delayed paying rent which has become lawfully due. "

        Robin, I am sure I have told you this before (if it wasn't you I apologise)but GROUND 9 DOES NOT APPLY TO YOUR CASE! You are right that in the event the tenant is not in 2mths arrears it could be as quick to use the section 21 but be aware that grounds CAN BE ADDED to the section 8 at a later date if required. Therefore, you could issue the section 8 stating grounds 10 and 11 and later add ground 8 if the tenant becomes 2mths in arrears.

        Also, read the notices and follow the instructions to the letter! The section 8 will ask you to state the grounds under which you seek possession and here you have to use the EXACT WORDING as used in the Housing Act 1988. Re ground 8 - be sure to use the amended version in the Housing Act amendments of 1996 (ie 2mths arrears - not 3mths).

        I would still advise issuing both notices (though you are only likely to take one notice as far as court).

        Hope this info helps.

        J

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Joannepowell View Post
          Robin, I am sure I have told you this before (if it wasn't you I apologise)but GROUND 9 DOES NOT APPLY TO YOUR CASE! You are right that in the event the tenant is not in 2mths arrears it could be as quick to use the section 21 but be aware that grounds CAN BE ADDED to the section 8 at a later date if required. Therefore, you could issue the section 8 stating grounds 10 and 11 and later add ground 8 if the tenant becomes 2mths in arrears.

          Also, read the notices and follow the instructions to the letter! The section 8 will ask you to state the grounds under which you seek possession and here you have to use the EXACT WORDING as used in the Housing Act 1988. Re ground 8 - be sure to use the amended version in the Housing Act amendments of 1996 (ie 2mths arrears - not 3mths).

          I would still advise issuing both notices (though you are only likely to take one notice as far as court).

          Hope this info helps.

          J
          Joanne, I'll take onbard what you say. These things need to be digested. I find it bizzarre that on some grounds you can only get possesion 'At the discretion of the court' !
          Who owns the place for heavens sake ?
          It's my flat. No rent for 2 months & he should be out..... period !
          Surely it should be that simple. But no, the legal policy makers keep it unecessarily complicated so they can make money for it.
          Sorry but all this legal mumbo jumbo gets my goat. I appreciate your assistance. I submitted a form to legal helpers for £30 they will word the section 8 correctly hopefully. Having said that since I posted this thread the tenant just rang to say he's been advised today to do an IVA so he may be able to stump up the rent. But I guess I still need to serve notice in case he can't manage to. I can waive the notice if he does.
          Many thanks for your helpful posts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Robin View Post
            As you may have read on another thread, I need to serve an 8 & a 21.
            Thanks in anticipation for any advice on correct wording.
            It is vitally important that you include a rent statement when you serve the section 8 notice. It should be laid out like a spreadsheet, detailing dates when rent should have been paid, per week / month, amounts, total outstanding - STATED VERY CLEARLY.

            When you eventually get to court the Judge will want to see this has been done. I didn't do it and my case nearly failed; it was only through luck and mitigating circumstances that the Judge let me off. If you want further info please PM me.

            Comment

            Latest Activity

            Collapse

            • Tenant threatens legal action
              Golip
              Hi all

              A former tenant of mine whom moved out without giving 4 weeks notice as per his contract is threatening legal action over a deposit which I did not protect in time and was returned to him in full once the admin error was realised (my farther usually deals with the paperwork)
              ...
              16-08-2017, 16:16 PM
            • Reply to Tenant threatens legal action
              HantsAgent
              Without wishing to sound rude, you don't sound at all competent to head this off without help.

              I'd recommend you instruct a good solicitor specialising in property to deal with this on your behalf.
              22-08-2017, 05:09 AM
            • evicting a tenant
              ferrari-airwolf
              Hello there, I have been renting my property for the last 2 and a half years and have been doing so with a 6 month AST contract. At the end of the current contract (which I renewed last weekend) I wish to take the property back, I stated this to my tenant before the tenant signed the current contract...
              20-08-2017, 14:49 PM
            • Reply to evicting a tenant
              mariner
              Get a new GSC arranged. A valid GSC is a requirement during any Tenancy..
              T does not have to vacate on expiry of Repo Notice, she could remain your T until legally evicted by Court Bailiffs after a further several weeks/months.
              For ~£50 (tax deductible), is it worth the risk?
              22-08-2017, 01:50 AM
            • Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
              JT1980Lon
              Hi Guys,

              I was wondering if you could advise me on where I stand. I have a property which I have rented out for the last four years to a group and each time one person leaves then the original guys source a new person and just give the incoming deposit back to the outgoing person and I...
              20-08-2017, 11:41 AM
            • Reply to Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
              mariner
              Sloppy LL'ing.

              When did original Tenancy commence with original Ts?
              Who, if anyone, still remains?
              Did you nominate a T to do your job ie return ind deposits, check new Ts for Right to Rent, conduct nec checks on new T?
              Give permission for him to sub-let?
              How do...
              22-08-2017, 01:10 AM
            • Reply to Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
              JK0
              Sounds like the guy who contacted you was your tenant's lodger, doesn't it? Therefore it's up to tenant whether to return deposit or not. (Sounds like room was left in a bad state.)
              21-08-2017, 23:43 PM
            • Reply to evicting a tenant
              ferrari-airwolf
              Thanks for the confirmation, so would this be ok to send to the tenant?
              https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_property.pdf

              I am thinking of using this template as it seems to be the best one available. I will send that and a letter stating that I will let them end there tenancy...
              21-08-2017, 22:41 PM
            • Reply to Tenant threatens legal action
              Wright76
              I suppose on a positive the fact you returned it BEFORE the tenancy ended is in your favour.

              No win no fee solicitors like straight forward cases.

              One of the first questions they ask are if there are any rent arrears or claims to damages. You may well ward them off with a ...
              21-08-2017, 22:27 PM
            • Reply to Joint tenancy deposit responsibility
              AndrewDod
              The short summary is that the situation you have created is the proverbial dog's breakfast.

              Who is your tenant? The fact that you cannot answer that question means that you are lining yourself up for massive problems.

              You have two basic types of tenancies - where you have every...
              21-08-2017, 22:22 PM
            Working...
            X