Prospective tenant withdraws- effect on deposit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospective tenant withdraws- effect on deposit?

We've recently decided to rent our house out through an agency as we are moving away. The first couple that came to look at it took it and laid down a deposit with the agency. 3 weeks later, they pulled out.

Arla have said the tenants get the deposit back after admin fees are deducted etc. The agency we are with have said they keep the deposit and another agency we contacted said we are liable for 3 weeks worth of rent.

Does anyone know where we stand here as we have lost out 3 weeks worth of inspections and potential tenants? And who is right on who keeps that money?

Originally posted by baxter View Post
    We've recently decided to rent our house out through an agency as we are moving away. The first couple that came to look at it took it and laid down a deposit with the agency. 3 weeks later, they pulled out.

Arla have said the tenants get the deposit back after admin fees are deducted etc. The agency we are with have said they keep the deposit and another agency we contacted said we are liable for 3 weeks worth of rent.

Does anyone know where we stand here as we have lost out 3 weeks worth of inspections and potential tenants? And who is right on who keeps that money?
    1. What does your Agreement with Agent say? That must be the starting point: to what Terms of Engagement did you agree?
    2. Again, on what basis and Terms did couple 1 pay deposit? Did they sign anything?
    3. At least for these purposes, ignore ARLA and the other agency.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

My partner is the one dealing with all of this, he says there is nothing in the agreement with regard to if a tenant pulls out.

We believe the tenants did sign the agreement but i'm unsure as to what it said. My partner just told me that the agency had let us know that the contract had been signed by the tenants.

Comment

Sorry, got that wrong, the other agency said we should get 3 weeks worth of rent. Not that we are liable.

Comment

There'd be no point in a holding deposit if they get it back. I normally keep deposits if people change their minds. Otherwise you wind up with a vacant spell while you find other tenants & you lose rent because of them changing their minds.
          Once I take a property off the rental market the holding deposit is mine. The tenant only gets back in as much as it is taken off the rent when they move in.

Comment

Yes, i find it very strange that the deposit goes back to the people who put it down. Is that not the whole point of the deposit, to stop them from pulling out and wasting valuable time. However, Arla seems to think this is the way it is. And offcourse, as an agency are dealing with it i don't think we have much of a say.

We personally haven't lost any money yet as we haven't moved out, so we haven't actually been burnt, but the house has been off the market for 3 weeks.

I was just keen to know what the real deal is meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
              There'd be no point in a holding deposit if they get it back. I normally keep deposits if people change their minds.
              Doesn't make it legal though!

Originally posted by Robin View Post
              Otherwise you wind up with a vacant spell while you find other tenants & you lose rent because of them changing their minds.
              Once I take a property off the rental market the holding deposit is mine. The tenant only gets back in as much as it is taken off the rent when they move in.
              I quite agree with the sentiments, and personally I don't see why it shouldn't be enforceable; however I think you'll find that if ever you get a clued-up 'professional' tenant who wants a deposit returned under such circumstances, then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. The ARLA position you were told about is the correct one as I understand it.

Comment

In "Renting out your property for Dummies 2nd ed" the authors recommend a written agreement about the holding deposit. This doesn't charge the T if he fails your credit searches other than for the searches themselves (ie LL decides not to rent to him) but charges him a daily rent if he refuses to take up the tenancy-from the date he had his application approved up until another T takes the property or 30 days later, whichever is sooner.

Whether this would stand up in court I do not know-it sounds eminently reasonable, but as Robin is finding out this LL/tenant thing is often not what a reasonable person would expect...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting a flat to a company
                  Raiden328i
                  In the small block were I live the guy below me in the shop me and my wife rent to him wants one of the flats next door which is now empty. He says he wants to stick his workers in it and I am just wondering how it works or if you can do it seeing as you have to register the deposit etc?
                  21-07-2017, 14:02 PM
                • Reply to Renting a flat to a company
                  MrShed
                  *** UNHELPFUL POST ALERT ***

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen on this forum posts like this. Why would you consider going into business with someone who you dont trust due to previous issues? Walk away.

To answer slightly mroe definitively, you cant have a tenancy...
                  21-07-2017, 14:19 PM
                • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  MrShed
                  I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
                  20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
                • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
                  jjlandlord
                  The ones I have mentioned all explicitly state that they are compliant with Privacy Shield.

I mean, as said and repeated, if you are a cloud data provider in the EU and a minimum serious then your service complies with EU law...

Beyond that, they cannot check and be responsible...
                  21-07-2017, 13:54 PM
                  jpkeates
                  The only popular (used by real people routinely) cloud supplier who claims compliance is Microsoft for Office 365 storage (since 2014).
                  None of the other suppliers, as far as I can find out, claim to be compliant - although it's fudged on most of their "help" pages.

I am...
                  A data storage strategy is important because digital storage media are inherently unreliable and all file formats and physical storage media will ultimately become obsolete.
                  21-07-2017, 13:44 PM
                  jjlandlord
                  Read my comments again... Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Privacy Shield has only been mentioned in relation to compliance with current rules.

As said, I'm sure providers will update their operations to comply with the GDPR,...
                  21-07-2017, 13:33 PM
                  MrShed
                  I feel that GDPR is being misunderstood here (which is common).

Privacy Shield is one tick box (of many) towards GDPR compliance. It allows the "transfer" of data outside of the EU jurisdiction.

However, it doesnt (for example) address the needs for the Data Controller...
                  21-07-2017, 13:25 PM
                  tatemono
                  backblaze is one such "serious" provider... and yet it doesn't let you choose....
                  21-07-2017, 13:15 PM
                  jjlandlord
                  It currently allows to send data to the US legally. As said, if your provider either keeps the data in the EU or complies with Privacy Shield then there is no problem.

I have no doubt that storage providers will adapt to the GDPR so as to continue doing business legally in the EU. Landlords...
                  21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                  jpkeates
                  I was responding to this point.

And said

Many landlords store data on their phones, laptops and PCs.
                  They don't have a data strategy in place, they just have documents and files that hold personal data.
                  Those are often connected to a cloud service automatically...
                  21-07-2017, 12:20 PM
                Working...
                X