Tenant's landlord's landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant's landlord's landlord

Our landlord whom we sublet from is leaving the property in 2 weeks and has not told us to leave, how do I stand with the main property owner who technically is not our landlord. We have no written lease. Help

Originally posted by STEVEBFS View Post
    Our landlord whom we sublet from is leaving the property in 2 weeks and has not told us to leave, how do I stand with the main property owner who technically is not our landlord. We have no written lease. Help
    Please clarify: does L live there too, or is L simply selling to someone else? What does the expression "main property owner" in your post mean?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

And if the first 'landlord' that you mention is in fact just another tenant who is sub-letting the property, was this done with the consent and knowledge of the actual landlord who owns the property? And do you have their address?

Comment

re:help

I will try and clarify....The property is owned by Mr a.

This property is let out to Mr b and we let part of it from Mr b with no written agreement but have been there for 9 years. Mr b is quitting in 2 weeks and told us a day ago.

Where does my business stand as we cannot move out easily. We have not been told to leave. Where do we stand with Mr a in all this as it is his building and he has indicated that he wishes to sell the property.

Thanks for any help

Comment

Who has accepted your rent - Mr B, who sublet part of the property to you, or Mr A, who owns the building and wants to sell it?

Comment

Re:help

we paid Mr b up to now. Mr a knows we are there but has not been in contact with us apart from asking if we would like to buy the property.

Comment

Originally posted by STEVEBFS View Post
              we paid Mr b up to now. Mr a knows we are there but has not been in contact with us apart from asking if we would like to buy the property.
              See my private message re Part II of LTA 1954, replying to yours.
              Could you put it on this forum, if possible?
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X