buying a property with a tenant in place

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a property with a tenant in place

Hi there i'm a new member so be gentle with me.I'm sure you clever peps can help me.I'm soon to purchase a property with a tenant (not a sitting tenant with a regulated rent) who has asked to stay , I am happy for his tenancy to continue ,I will obviously credit check him etc but I wasn't sure if I renew his tenancy at the end of its time or if its periodic on completion day what is the correct procedure, thanks.

There isn't really much point in credit checking your tenant as they are already in occupation so if you do find something adverse there is very little you can do about it (unless they go into arrears or a S21 has expired).

Personally I wouldn't renew there tenancy agreement. If you do you are locking yourself into a new fixed term which isn't necessary as your tenant still has the same legal rights under their old agreement.

How long have they been in occupation and what is the term of the agreement?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I've been told the tenant has been there for 4 years ,he and his partner seem nice people and they keep the apartment immaculate ,I'm still waiting for the agent to get back to me regarding the tenancy.Also with the security deposit ,I assume the previous LL gives it back and I then receive it placing it in the TDS if completion is after the 6th April.This is the 1st property that I'm managing myself as others are with agents as they are a distance away so I obviously want to do it right for myself and the tenant.Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by kim gramlick View Post
        Thanks for your reply, I've been told the tenant has been there for 4 years ,he and his partner seem nice people and they keep the apartment immaculate ,I'm still waiting for the agent to get back to me regarding the tenancy.Also with the security deposit ,I assume the previous LL gives it back and I then receive it placing it in the TDS if completion is after the 6th April.This is the 1st property that I'm managing myself as others are with agents as they are a distance away so I obviously want to do it right for myself and the tenant.Cheers.
        ALSO:
        1. Ensure that, on completion, V or V's solicitor hands over to you a Letter of Authority addressed to T and directing that all further rent be paid to you as new L.
        2. Serve on T not only that Letter but also your statutory Notices under s.3 of LTA 1985 and s.48 of LTA 1987.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Kim

If you have a long term tenant then the likely hood of them staying is good. No void periods, probably no repairs; landlord's dream.

If they are long term their rent may be a bit on the low side; we do that to keep tenants and avoid the void periods which are expensive. If this is the case don't wade in and hike the rent, they may just up and go. Put it up with inflation rate every year.

Good luck

rewop

By the way, kim gramlick, is that an anagram or is it your real name (no offence intended)
          If you are not offended by what I say then please tell me so that I can try harder next time.

Comment

Thanks for your replys and advice and yes that is my name (damm my husband)!

Comment

Originally posted by kim gramlick View Post
              Thanks for your replys and advice and yes that is my name (damm my husband)!

Kim, I would've kept rewop guessing! It would've been interesting to see what sort of word combinations he came up with for your surname.....

Ah well....

J
              Last edited by Joannepowell; 20-03-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

No manners

Mick Kilogram I humbly apologise on behalf of the senior member for de-railing a second thread this morning.

Some people have no manners

(the humble) rewop

PS Before you point out my anagram error I have applied the "poetic licence" rule.
                If you are not offended by what I say then please tell me so that I can try harder next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
                  No need to place the deposit into a deposit scheme unless you renew the tenancy agreement.
                  ...and a periodic tenancy continuation of fixed term is NOT a renewal, so deposit can stay where it is (no statutory handover required).
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                    Berlingogirl
                    This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
                    27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
                  • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
                    Berlingogirl
                    I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
                    27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                  • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                    BouwensPB
                    I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                    26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                  • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                    Wright76
                    You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
                    27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
                  • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                    theartfullodger
                    Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
                    27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                  • Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                    purpleangel
                    Our potential new landlady has 'approved us in principle' but wants to meet us at the house as the final part in the referencing process. Beside the obvious such as look smart, tidy and professional and warn the kids to behave, any particular tips for making sure this last hurdle goes smoothly?
                    26-07-2017, 10:11 AM
                  • Reply to Tips for making a good impression when meeting a landlord
                    Wright76
                    Some of the above comments are crazy!. If they have aleady done their referencing and credit checks then they likely just want to meet you.

As someone said above, they are trusting you with their very valuable asset.

As a landlord I couldn't care less what clothes someone...
                    27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
                  • Landlord Address
                    bsward
                    Hello,

Tenancy finished a couple of months ago. The landlord withheld part of the deposit for a variety of reasons. As the tenant, I disputed those deductions as incorrect - they contradict the Checkout Report which was completed by an agent of the Landlord but that's besides the point....
                    27-07-2017, 09:58 AM
                  • Reply to Landlord Address
                    theartfullodger
                    As the tenancy has finished you have no right to his address from agent.

Have you spent £3 with land registry to get deeds of property & see who is listed as owner & what address?? (Landlord may not be owner... legal, no very uncommon...)
                    https://www.gov.uk/search-propert...
                    27-07-2017, 18:59 PM
                  • Tenant's energy debt.
                    Gordonmrln
                    I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                    20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                  Working...
                  X