Can we stay longer than the standard notice period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we stay longer than the standard notice period?

Hi

We are currently renting a private property on a month by month basis. We are required to give one months' notice to end the agreement.

Our monthly tenancy runs from the 8th of each month.

We have bought a house and are due to complete on 7th August. I understand that if we give notice by 7th July we can move out on 7th August but we'd ideally like to stay in the rented property for an extra week so that we can decorate our new house before moving all of our furniture in. We couldn't afford to stay a whole month longer though.

My question is, do we HAVE to move out on 7th / 8th August or could we stay for an extra week as long as we still give notice by 7th July and obviously pay an extra week's rent?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can stay longer - but only if the landlord agrees. Under common law, if you give notice before 7th July to leave on 7th August, and then do not leave, you will be trespassing.

Comment

Speak to your landlord, he may allow you to do this by mutual agreement, otherwise give notice up till the last day of the following month, i.e. 8th August to 7th September. (As required by statute).

At least that will save you having to rush the job.
      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Ask the landlord! He may agree, or he may insist on you staying for the whole additional month, as is his perogative.

If you have been good tenants, there is no reason why I would not agree if asked, but I am not your landlord. Send him a polite letter (do it in writing and get written agreement if he accepts).

However, remember that "due to complete" is not a set in stone definate date, so you may run over anyway, and staying and paying the extra month may be a wise move if things are delayed and you need a roof over your head!

Comment

Thank you for your help. I will ask the landlord. If he agrees what do I need to get them to do in terms of a written agreement? Just a standard letter saying we can stay until X date? I'm just worried about them changing their mind last minute if they find another tenant they want to move in.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cheshire_gal06 View Post
            I'm just worried about them changing their mind last minute if they find another tenant they want to move in.
            If they did so, there's nothing to stop you just staying put - they can't simply evict you on the spot, so they'd be stupid to put themselves in that position (ie having to explain to an incoming tenant why they couldn't move in...)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X