Deposit protection scheme and SoD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit protection scheme and SoD

I have just realised that LLs must use the deposit protection scheme if they renew a fixed term agreement after April with an exisiting tenant.

Firstly, do you think this might stop the rip off practice of making tenants keep renewing fixed terms (and issuing pointless section 21s) in order for agents to earn "renewal fees"? Or will agents want to get as these "old" tenants into the new scheme so they can charge LLs extra fees to cover deposit insurance?

Secondly, if the agent does make a current tenant sign another fixed term after April, if the agent does not send the tenant details of the deposit scheme within 14 days can the tenant really claim 3 times the value of the deposit!? Do the agents get any warning from the courts first or anything? What if the agent says they send the details, but the tenant says they didn't get them? I can't believe that on day 15 the agent owes the tenant thousands.

Thanks.

One more quick questions...

My deposit isn't protected by the scheme, but I would like it to be. I rent from an agent. In April, is it reasonable to ask them to put it into the scheme? Is this a sensible thing to do?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to accelerated possession section 8
      by jpkeates
      That's not the same thing, though.

A section 21 notice accelerated possession claim is one that can proceed without a hearing (although that doesn't always happen). It is a specific process that you elect to follow (or not).

A section 8 notice will always have a hearing, because...
      18-01-2022, 17:36 PM
    • accelerated possession section 8
      by imranpal
      Is it possible to exercise accelerated possession using section 8 ?

My solicitor is advising to go with accelerated possession to evict the tenant and once we have court order we can file another court case to collect the rent arrears .

i was in impression that accelerated...
      18-01-2022, 12:45 PM
    • Reply to Tenancy inspection - more than one inspector?
      by jpucng62
      As a LL who uses a letting agent, I like to look around my properties occasionally in order to ascertain whether I need to be doing anything - I find my views and the agent's often differ! There is no reason to be particularly alarmed by this - I would see it as an opportunity to raise any issues with...
      18-01-2022, 17:04 PM
    • Reply to Property Guardianship services - any experiences?
      by JamesHopeful
      Thank you both. I have now read up about it.

As far as I can see, there are a number of risks to both the resident guardian and the guardianship company. The former (ostensibly) has very few rights and may end up living in a substandard or even dangerous property; the latter risks getting...
      18-01-2022, 16:46 PM
      by mokka
      Won’t care if buying property as I did ...
      18-01-2022, 16:24 PM
      by imranpal
      as per this blog it is possible If the tenant falls behind with rent, the landlord can repossess the property and cut their losses. After you miss to pay 2 months of rent, the landlord is eligible to use an accelerated possession procedure. If proven the court will grant the order immediately.
      18-01-2022, 15:30 PM
      by jpkeates
      There is no accelerated possession with section 8.

I think your solicitor is suggesting using section 21 to obtain possession and then making a separate claim for the money the tenant (presumably) owes.

That would be the advice of many people here, provided that you can serve...
      18-01-2022, 13:13 PM
      by ash72
      It may be that the LL is making sure the LA is doing their job with their property, rather than checking up on you. Is there any reason you don't want both of them looking at the same time, I would have thought it was more efficient then each come separately.

You just need to ensure you...
      18-01-2022, 11:04 AM
    • Reply to Rent increase or being served notice
      by ash72
      Just bear in mind, when you are served notice, and don't leave, the LL/ LA will then move towards the courts, once this happens all the costs will then be on the T.

Your best solution is to communicate with the LL/LA as well as search for alternative accommodation, you will have up to 2...
      18-01-2022, 10:58 AM
    • Reply to Rent increase or being served notice
      by Goodeys
      Many thanks all for your reply. Yeah there is nothing on the market at all really, nightmare.

I assume they wish to serve me with a S21 immediately as they gave me 7 days to respond which would tie in with S21 being served two months before my tenancy even ends.

I’ve been...
      18-01-2022, 10:23 AM
    Working...
    X