Deposit protection scheme and SoD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit protection scheme and SoD

I have just realised that LLs must use the deposit protection scheme if they renew a fixed term agreement after April with an exisiting tenant.

Firstly, do you think this might stop the rip off practice of making tenants keep renewing fixed terms (and issuing pointless section 21s) in order for agents to earn "renewal fees"? Or will agents want to get as these "old" tenants into the new scheme so they can charge LLs extra fees to cover deposit insurance?

Secondly, if the agent does make a current tenant sign another fixed term after April, if the agent does not send the tenant details of the deposit scheme within 14 days can the tenant really claim 3 times the value of the deposit!? Do the agents get any warning from the courts first or anything? What if the agent says they send the details, but the tenant says they didn't get them? I can't believe that on day 15 the agent owes the tenant thousands.

Thanks.

One more quick questions...

My deposit isn't protected by the scheme, but I would like it to be. I rent from an agent. In April, is it reasonable to ask them to put it into the scheme? Is this a sensible thing to do?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
      by royw
      What does your AST say about it?
      05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
    • Dogs
      by Bridge2020
      My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
      05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
    • Advice on s.8 & s.21
      by Hetty911
      Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
      05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
    • Reply to Accelerated possession order
      by Hudson01
      Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
      05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
    • Accelerated possession order
      by Pariah81
      A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
      05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
      by theartfullodger
      Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
      05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
      by Pariah81
      Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
      05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
    • Reply to Dogs
      by ash72
      The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
      05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
    • Reply to Dogs
      by jpkeates
      I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
      You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
      05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
    • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
      by jpkeates
      Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
      You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
      And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
      05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
    Working...
    X