Chasing Rent Arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing Rent Arrears

Our first experience of renting a house has turned into a nightmare! We have just lodged a Claim form to gain possession of our house following a Section 21 notice against tennants who haven't paid rent since November. We also pursued through small claims court the rent arrears (so far) and have been awarded a suspended ATE order for £50 per month! This will take 6 -7 years to pay the debt and we still need to put another claim in for the rent they will owe when they finally go (rent was £900 pm). Has any one had this kind of experience and is it worth carrying on pursuing?

Originally posted by Molly View Post
    Our first experience of renting a house has turned into a nightmare! We have just lodged a Claim form to gain possession of our house following a Section 21 notice against tennants who haven't paid rent since November. We also pursued through small claims court the rent arrears (so far) and have been awarded a suspended ATE order for £50 per month! This will take 6 -7 years to pay the debt and we still need to put another claim in for the rent they will owe when they finally go (rent was £900 pm). Has any one had this kind of experience and is it worth carrying on pursuing?
    have you been provided with a copy of the tenants information they have submitted to the court which lists their income and outgoings? I know from experience a tenant offered to make payments of £50 per month yet her disposable income was £850 per month so the judge made her pay £250 and the debt was paid off in a little over one year. So yes its worth persuing but at the end of the day if thats all they can afford on paper then you may not have much more luck getting any more. We have a chap at the moment paying us £50 per month to clear a debt of £1500.00, his parents are paying it yet he's working full time and earningn 20k plus but the owner did not want to go down the court route so this is an agreement we have come to direct with him.

good luck.

Comment

Chasing rent arrears

Thanks for the reply. Yes we did get a copy of her earnings and our solicitor challenged the fact that she put our rent as outgoings! She also offered a voluntary payment of £20 per month, so I suppose the court deciding on £50 was a bonus.
      Do you have any idea on realistically how much longer we are going to have them in our house, assuming they play on their rights to the bitter end?

Comment

Originally posted by Molly View Post
        Thanks for the reply. Yes we did get a copy of her earnings and our solicitor challenged the fact that she put our rent as outgoings! She also offered a voluntary payment of £20 per month, so I suppose the court deciding on £50 was a bonus.
        Do you have any idea on realistically how much longer we are going to have them in our house, assuming they play on their rights to the bitter end?

Read this thread:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=5482

Kind Regards

J

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
          by royw
          What does your AST say about it?
          05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
        • Dogs
          by Bridge2020
          My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
          05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
        • Advice on s.8 & s.21
          by Hetty911
          Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
          05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
        • Reply to Accelerated possession order
          by Hudson01
          Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
          05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
        • Accelerated possession order
          by Pariah81
          A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
          05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
          by theartfullodger
          Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
          05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
          by Pariah81
          Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
          05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
        • Reply to Dogs
          by ash72
          The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
          05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
        • Reply to Dogs
          by jpkeates
          I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
          You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
          05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
        • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
          by jpkeates
          Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
          You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
          And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
          05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
        Working...
        X