Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreseeing problems with the inventory.

Hello all

I am a foreign student in England and I have to leave my landlords' property (excluded tenancy) in 3 weeks. I have no contract (big mistake I know), no inventory report was made by each side upon arrival, and I already paid.
    I realised, unfortunately too late, that they where dishonest people, who tried to scam me several times.

Before leaving, my landlords will do the inventory I suppose, I kept the room in the same condition (even had to clean some parts that were disgusting), so basically it's in a better condition than when I arrived.
    Yet, my landlords being what they are, I suspect they could try to extort money from me,pretexting I dirtied or damaged things, probably under a threat of some sort as they already tried.

I am wondering which recourse I have ? I don't know the exact date of the inventory (it's probably pointless to ask them, they won't tell me). I could probably ask the person in charge of me at the school to come or maybe the police ? As I need these people to forward any mail I could receive after I left, I try to cross them the least I can.

Thanks for your future help.

You say it's an excluded tenancy.Does your landlord live in the same building/house/flat as you?

Did you pay a deposit?

What do you mean by a threat to extort money?

For a check-out inventory report to have any strength as evidence, there needs to be an equivalent check-in report at the start of the tenancy or licence. It doesn't prove anything if there is only a check-out report saying X is damaged unless the check-in report says X is in good condition/undamaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffe View Post
      As I need these people to forward any mail I could receive after I left, I try to cross them the least I can.
      No you don't - you can pay the Post Office to do it for you. I certainly wouldn't rely on anybody else to do it if you're expecting anything even remotely important to be delivered. (But why can't you simply notify everyone important if your new address, anyway?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        No you don't - you can pay the Post Office to do it for you.
        Yes, see http://www.royalmail.com/personal/re...il/redirection
        and
        http://www.postoffice.co.uk/redirection

Comment

You say it's an excluded tenancy.Does your landlord live in the same building/house/flat as you?
          Yes

Did you pay a deposit?
          Yes, but my landlords asked for a deposit the amount of the rent, that would count as a last month payment. Basically I paid 300£ the day I arrived. Then 300£ each month, and I don't have to pay for the last month as the deposit covers it.

What do you mean by a threat to extort money?
          Threat of physical harm, they're capable of that I think. Or they could damage my stuff, I carry any worthy items with me when I'm out now. I noticed some weeks ago that they rummaged into my stuff, and tried to turn my computer on. I looked for an another accomodotion at the time, but I couln'd find anything close to my workplace.

For a check-out inventory report to have any strength as evidence, there needs to be an equivalent check-in report at the start of the tenancy or licence.
          I know that, it's their word against mine.

No you don't - you can pay the Post Office to do it for you. I certainly wouldn't rely on anybody else to do it if you're expecting anything even remotely important to be delivered.
          I didn't know that, thanks for the advice.

But why can't you simply notify everyone important if your new address, anyway?

I did that already, but I just want to guard against all eventualities.
          Last edited by Griffe; 14-05-2013, 20:12 PM. Reason: Added inf

Comment

The only way that the landlord can legally extract any further money from you is by claiming against you in court, and obtaining a court order for you to pay.

From what you tell us, he doesn't have any evidence to support a claim against you - and if it did end up in court you would get the opportunity to defend and appear in court and tell your story, and the court is fair. If the LL invents fake damage or cleaning, then it's unlikely the court will be duped by his story.

If you are in real fear of physical threat by the landlord, then you should try contacting the Tenancy Relations Officer at the local authority council - the TRO may have a different job title in different councils. But he is the guy who deals with unlawful harassment of tenants. Unfortunately, council services are not always great, so you could also try calling http://england.shelter.org.uk/ which is a charity for helping tenants. There is also the Citizens' Advice Bureau http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

If your college or university has a housing officer, then you should also report to them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X