HELP I've double Yale locked myself out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I had a key (4 in fact), and pulled the door to as I left.

The door wouldn't open because the thing with the deadlock snick was loose and wouldn't pull the tongue of the lock into the lock far enough to open the door. The 'mouth' on the door jamb was also loose. Wiggling the door, luckily, enabled it to be opened.

So it hadn't actually deadlocked as I thought.

The key kept turning round and round in the lock because the insides of the lock were worn.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    I'm still confused. I thought you'd locked the key inside. Have you a spare?
    She meant that she just closed the door, and didn't deadlock it.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I'm still confused. I thought you'd locked the key inside. Have you a spare?

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I'm in!

I went round to my friends' house. They have a yale lock. I tried to open their door with a credit card. That definitely won't work, unless the door is very thin. The card wouldn't go round the door far enough to dislodge the 'tongue'.

My friend's husband said he'd come round and have a look. He put the key in the lock and with a bit of a wiggling of the door got it open. The back plate of the lock (with the 'tongue' in) was a little bit loose, and the bit in the door frame (with the 'mouth' in)was also a little bit loose. Not loose enough for me to have noticed but loose enough so that the tongue could not come out of the mouth without a bit of a wiggle of the door.

He tightened the tongue bit and the mouth bit and now the door opens and closes properly.

However I do need a new back bit with the tongue in because the key just goes round and round. I have to hold it in the correct position to open the door. But at least I can open it now.

Phew!

Thanks everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    I think it's double locked itself which I think should only be able to be done from the inside.
    Are you sure? You can certainly double-lock a Yale from the outside (if it's a deadlock type).

If you're convinced it's broken or there's no other way in, then just taking a power drill to it is probably the cheapest option.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Why do you think it's deadlocked itself BG?

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I'd use the axe myself but it's locked in the house

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I don't know how it deadlocked itself. And would you believe it, Axeboy walked past me as I was sitting in the car wondering what to do!

Leave a comment:

• DNM2012
    replied
    Actually Axeboy could be quite handy now!

Here's Johnny

Sorry couldn't resist, hope you get in.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    Quite simply, you need to either find someone that can open/break the lock, or find another point of entry and force your way in there.

Pick the cheapest option.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Call a locksmith.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I don't see how it could be deadlocked unless Axeboy snuck in and did it.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Just seen a youtube demo, but will it work on a deadlock?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Try BG. You may have to bend the card a little before you start.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rsF2Hneiwc

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I can't because the door frame is in the way

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X