Tenancy deposits - arbitration success rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy deposits - arbitration success rates

Hi I'm looking at how to hold my tenants deposit and wondered if there was any benefit of holding it in the custodial scheme or one of the insurance based scheme if a dispute was to occur. In other words do the arbitrators in both schemes act in the same way or are there differences between their remit in the schemes. Do landlords stand a better chance of winning a dispute under the insurance as a posed to the custodial scheme. The panels expert opinion would be appreciated on this.

I have only ever used the DPS custodial and had reasonable success but then I try to settle with tenants directly if there is a problem.

Last year, in a difficult case, rather than use the DPS arbitration scheme which many posts on this site suggest is tenant biased I made a moneyclaim online via the county court system for damages and was successful - took 9 months though.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
      scooter08
      Q1 ā€“ Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
      England

Q2 ā€“ What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
      AST

Q3 ā€“ What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
      12/04/2015
      21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
    • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
      scooter08
      Thanks for the reply jp....
      21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
      jpkeates
      Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
      21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
      scooter08
      I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
      21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
      scooter08
      I pay the council tax, yes it is mortgaged. As far as I know he isn't pretending to live him and his family live in another house a few streets away....
      21-07-2017, 18:01 PM
    • HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
      bald555
      Long story short, someone I know (not close) needed money, I gave him 12 months reduced rent upfront to help him out and put a commercial lease on his HMo with right to sublet etc (my tenants).

Few months in and his money problems are worse and the bank (and others) pressuring him to sell...
      21-07-2017, 16:58 PM
    • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
      bald555
      and yes, there is a mortgage...
      21-07-2017, 17:44 PM
      jpkeates
      Harassment is way more than a breach of quiet enjoyment, there has to be a level of distress in the harassed person.

A retrospective claim for breach of quiet enjoyment is probably a non-starter - breach of quiet enjoyment is part of the kitchen sink people throw when they're claiming compensation...
      21-07-2017, 17:43 PM
      Wright76
      And although as jpkeates suggests you have a right to turn them away and force a court order, this does not mean they have breached your right to quiet enjoyment.

It means you are refusing to honour your AST and the landlord Is forced to apply to court to make you legally comply. Again,...
      21-07-2017, 17:35 PM
    • Reply to HMO under Commercial Lease & homeowner wants to sell
      bald555
      Many thanks for the reply. Yes, my company has leased the HMO in question under commercial lease but it's not registered at land registry as it's only a 12 month lease.

Tenants are friends so less of am issue as such but they'll be outside of their 6 months by the time of any would be...
      21-07-2017, 17:31 PM
    Working...
    X