Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint or Sole tenancy?

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can possibly help me with this conundrum. (to me at least!)

We are hoping to move out of London to Kent after Summer to rent a 1 or 2 bed flat. Our situation - My girlfriend is full time employed with a salary of 27K gross per year. I am self employed (recently started business), with a variable income (but less than £ 6-700 per month currently). I do have a good credit history with no CCJ`s though. We would be looking at a maximum rent of £700/ pm on the new property.

We have stayed in our current flat for the last 5 years, with not one missed or late payment of rent. Also we have been together for 6 years as a couple.

Due to my current situation, is it better we register the flat under her name as a sole tenancy?

From a landlord perspective it'll always be better to have you both as joint tenants, I would think.

Comment

As above, if the landlolrd want you both named on the tenancy, you may have little choice. LLs like to have joint names, as there are 2 people to chase for arrears, damage claims etc. You may be impecable tenants, but LL doesn't know you from Adam!

If you tell them you both want to live there, but only want her name on tenancy, alarm bells will start to ring anyway, so just be honest up front and explain.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X