Neighbour is complaining about my tenants - what can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richardpowel
    replied
    Hi there,

The problem seems to be very complicated while carpet will solve the issue to a certain extent still he might cause trouble as his second name is menace. Try consulting solicitors as they must have all the possible legal fixes to the problem and he seems like a person who might understand it only in a legal way. But you might need to collect possible evidence that might catch the eye of the law thereby proving that he is guilty in one way or the other.

These are just my persona views of how you can approach the whole situation.

Thomas George - Cardiff

Leave a comment:

• Galatea
    replied
    Originally posted by mystery View Post
    The lease contains nothing about floor coverings and while I do realise the tenants will generate some level of noise they also neighbour plays music loudly in the morning when he gets up and they are still sleeping, so it's tit for tat.
    se.

Do u live under laminate floor?

When your neighbor will try to sell his place the buyers will make enquiries about noise from your laminate flat. When you will try to sell with the laminate floor you will find it even harder nowdays because buyers know they are going into dispute. So, try to carpet as much as you can.

My upstairs neighbour has laminate floor! She rents to people working in restaurants. On average each night around 5-7 adults walk at all hours plus 2 children jump all sat and sunday. Acoustics engineers told me that the only option I have is is to insulate my own flat with an independent ceiling underneath the existing one. Carpeting will not completely deaden the impacts.The carpets do not totaly resolve the impact noise. The laminate floor amplifies the noise

The Councils consider your described noise as domestic: they do not become involved. However, the boundary between this and antisocial behaviour overlaps and may have serious consequences for all of you.

Do you have a rent issue with the tenants? tenants will want to keep the rent increases under control and probably will raise issues and excuses.
    Finally you do not know when u will need your neighbour

Leave a comment:

• mystery
    replied
    Thanks for everyone's comments - although opinion does seem a bit divided.

The council permit 3 unrelated people to share without it being classed as an HMO, however it is a selective licencing area and I have fully complied with all the regulations attached to that and the flat has been inspected by the council.

The lease contains nothing about floor coverings and while I do realise the tenants will generate some level of noise they also neighbour plays music loudly in the morning when he gets up and they are still sleeping, so it's tit for tat.

I had a long conversation with the tenants yesterday and they are adamant that they are not causing a nuisance and in fact we are wondering if some of the noise that he is hearing is actually coming from flats to the side rather than above.

I think I might consider carpeting one room as an experiment to see if it makes any difference, but I'm not hopeful as the stairs are carpeted already and he complains about people walking up them. I am also a bit sceptical as I've had a couple in the flat before with a newborn baby that he never complained about because the mum and his girlfriend got on well together. His complaints seem linked to whether he likes the tenants or not and I think he's just someone who likes to find something to moan about.

Leave a comment:

• DNM2012
    replied
    Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
    3 persons sharing a flat does NOT make an HMO.
    Wrong.

I said it is in "HMO territory", strictly speaking it is a HMO, if the 3 tenants are unrelated and share facilities, but, if they rent the whole property as a group as opposed to individual rooms it could be argued they are a "family group" and therefore not a HMO.

It comes down to what the local authority says at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    My mistake there ML - I missed out NOT.

3 persons sharing a flat does NOT make an HMO.

Leave a comment:

• midlandslandlord
    replied
    Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
    Three persons sharing a flat does make an HMO.
    If it requires a license and you are not licensed, then you are in criminal offence territory.

And if N downstairs starts complaining officially someone will notice...

ML

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    Originally posted by DNM2012 View Post
    One other thing that hasn't been mentioned.
    If your 3 tenants are unrelated then you are in HMO territory and involving the local council could cost you in safety improvements, depending on their HMO policies.
    Three persons sharing a flat does make an HMO.

Leave a comment:

• Wrigglesworth
    replied
    He is clearly a misanthropic arse, and will never be happy, so trying to appease him is almost certainly a waste of time and money, and will probably only lead to increased demands.

If you have a smart phone you can download an app which will block nuisance numbers (or just set the ringtone for him to silent). If you do want to engage with him at all, you could tell him that you find that his attitude is unreasonable, but that if he is prepared to be more neighbourly then you will reciprocate with co-operation as best you can. I doubt that he will be receptive to that idea though.

Do check the lease to see what it says about floor coverings. However, while the man is being a drama queen (possibly he's a closet case himself) I wouldn't go to the expense of laying carpet to placate him, even if you're required to do so, until you get a letter threatening you with legal proceedings unless you comply.

Other than such non-compliance with the lease on your part, noise-nuisance problems are a matter between him, your tenants and the local authority (who will laugh at him if they are as minor as you suggest).

Leave a comment:

• DNM2012
    replied
    One other thing that hasn't been mentioned.
    If your 3 tenants are unrelated then you are in HMO territory and involving the local council could cost you in safety improvements, depending on their HMO policies.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholdanswers
    replied
    Well the noises you make at 7pm hometime are very different at 1am when the world and a building are silent. You might not hear a cupboard door slam or a conversation when your tv is on, but at 1am you will.

Try sleeping a night at the chaps flat below and your perspective might change. it doesnt matter if you bought the flat with laminate the lease is what counts on the type of flooring.

Moreover while they do maintain the home and pay rent, that is not the extent of your obligation as flat owner to ensure to other owners and residents that you or anyone in your home does not cause a nuisance or disturbance to others at any time and specifically in the hours of generally 10 to 7.

They need to understand that when they were younger and at home with their parents they would not have behaved like that when they got in from a night out, out of consideration, The same applies here.

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    Sounds like this is grumpy old man, young late working male tenants and a building with little sound insulation.

Firstly start unplugging your phone at night or switch it off to avoid the harassment calls.

3 young male, bar working tenants are never going to be quiet so may at next let try a different type of tenant.

Yes to carpet or even rugs - those green tiles as suggested by Berlingogirl are not very effective - I've tried them.

Lastly do as Artful suggests and try not to re-act to him - he thrives on it.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    As well as carpet advice, all you can do is ask Ts politely to behave in neighbourly manner. They may claim 'him below' disturbs them with loud radio when they are trying to sleep.

Otherwise don't get involved, 'him below' can report neighbour nuisance to Council.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    I can only echo (no pun intended) the idea of carpet, its your best bet. Also change your number so the neighbour can not keep calling you, that is out of order, any problem he has is with the tenants not you. He sounds like an arse, as said above, he lives in a flat... not a detached house, get over it. There will also be more noise living in a flat, especially a ground floor one. If they work shifts then they will be up early and home late.... at least they do work ! Not like a lot these days who seem to be happy on benefits. You seem to have done more than most would have done, me included. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Alexlandlord
    replied
    I have had a potential similar problem, luckily flat downstairs advised me just after I bought, all I did extra was secure loose floor boards, put down hardboard then cloud 9 underlay ( cheap on ebay) then carpets I was planning anyway.

Problem solved laminate flooring being the root cause. Cloud 9 was laid to enhance sound proofing.

Appreciate on this case neighbour may be nightmare for others reasons but flooring will not help.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Carpet seems the best option, I think that green stuff you put under laminate flooring might help to reduce the footsteps noise. I used this in one house when bf had to get up at 5 am and the boards creaked.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
    by DoricPixie
    You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
    19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
    by flyingfreehold
    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
    by flyingfreehold
    but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
    19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
    by DoricPixie
    You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
    19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
    by Yorkie2020
    Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
    19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
  • Windows and front door smashed
    by Yorkie2020
    Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
    In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
    17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
  • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
    by Renterthedragon
    I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
    18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
    by ash72
    I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
    18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Hooper
    I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
    18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
Working...
X