help :( Deposit release... think my agent screwed me over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help :( Deposit release... think my agent screwed me over

Hello everyone, hope everyone is ok... this is going to be a bit long. I apologise in advance.

don't know where to start, i rented out a property through {Mod - name removed} using the find only service. Agreed a 6month tenancy with a tenant,finishing in Nov 12. my tenant left the property without giving me any notice when his AST had finished. when i came to check my rental payments in jan, i had realised i had not been paid the rent for the past 2months (i thougt the tenant was still living there). I tried contacting the tenant to no avail, so i had the locks changed as i had never had the keys back.

I went to {Mod - name removed} and told them what had happened and told them to re advertise. I also asked them to release the deposit to me as i had to have locks changed and loss of rent. They agreed to release.

it is now april and i have still not received the deposit. I emailed the head office who told me that they need confirmation from both parties. I told them that how can i get this when i can not contact the tenant.

I rang {Mod - name removed} again today and they gave me another mobile number. I finally got through to the tenant who told me he emailed {Mod - name removed} and told them he was leaving and gave the keys back to them in Nov before he went Poland. i'm waiting on the emails from the previous tenant.

What can i do if i never receive the emails? I can not explain how angry i am as i have used {Mod - name removed} before and never had any problem and my family gives them alot of business.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please refer to the forum rules, in particular ‘Terms and Conditions of Use’ item 11.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hp?do=vsarules
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

my apologies..should have said the letting agent.

Comment

I've had the email from the previous tenant which he sent to the agent giving his notice to leave.

Any suggestions of what to do?

Comment

If the property was let on a tenant-find-only basis, why was the agent involved at all after the point at which the tenant moved in?

Also, the tenant doesn't need to give you any notice of leaving at the end of the fixed term.

Comment

The only time they were involved was when the tenant emailed them and not me and returned the keys to them.

Comment

Assuming the let is in England or Wales.

The Agent shouldn't have the deposit. It should be in one of the Deposit Protection Schemes. Assuming it is, then the agent has no control on it's release. You'll need to apply to them to release mnies for the any damage caused to the property. Unless the tenancy stated that the deposit could be used to pay owed rent then you can't claim for that. You'll have to sue the tenant.

As already stated, a tenant doesn't have to give any notice if they leave on or before expiry of the tenancy. It's polite to do so, but not a legal requirement.

From your posts it sounds like you need to look at how you manage you business assests. Although, the agent should have really contacted you to say they had your keys.
              There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

I know I messed up...will learn from my mistakes..I'm only 25, managing 5 property's and working 2 jobs.

The deposit is with TDS but through the agents.

Comment

Contact the TDS then.
                  There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by vimal1 View Post

The deposit is with TDS but through the agents.
                    In your fist post you wrote the agents were on a "find only" basis. So why did you let them take the deposit? It seems they though they were doing more than find only. But in this case, their negligence in not notifying you when the tenant notified them seems even greater.

This is just my personal opinion and not based on any law: If the agent accepted the keys from the tenant, that puts them in a position of responsibility to you. You could tell them nicely about their negligence/liability and request compensation. My guess is someone at a junior level messed up. You need to find the head honcho and talk to and write to that person nicely.

Comment

They've always done that...they register it and we pay the fee? Should they not be doing that?

I was going to email the manager so I have everything on record. As you said above, If they accepted then its their responsibility to contact me. I would have given it to them to advertise again anyway.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
                        by hazedunks
                        Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
                        21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
                      • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
                        by leaseholder64
                        If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
                        20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
                      • Unilateral Break Clause
                        by PadHicks
                        Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
                        20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
                      • Reply to Online Letting Agents
                        by royw
                        I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
                        20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
                      • Online Letting Agents
                        by kathekas
                        Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

Many thanks
                        20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
                      • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                        by jpkeates
                        Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
                        You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
                        Ideally your solicitor...
                        20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
                      • Advise when buying a property
                        by alejandrog89
                        Hi,

We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
                        20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
                      • Reply to Possession of Property advice
                        by DPT57
                        Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
                        20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
                      • Possession of Property advice
                        by mirfie
                        Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
                        20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
                      • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                        by Flashback1966
                        Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

If it is a water pipe leak, it...
                        20-11-2019, 17:54 PM
                      Working...
                      X