The ultimate tenancy deposit scheme thread/site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ultimate tenancy deposit scheme thread/site

Can any one recommend a good thread on this forum regarding tenancy deposit schemes; ie advantages and disadvantages and costs of different schemes; from the agent, landlord and tenants point of view. I am confused by some of the things I have read.

If you can't recommend a previous thread please write your comments here.

Why would anyone ( landlord, agent, tenant) not want to use the DPS service which is free??

See http://www.depositprotection.com/
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Originally posted by Bel View Post
    Can any one recommend a good thread on this forum regarding tenancy deposit schemes; ie advantages and disadvantages and costs of different schemes; from the agent, landlord and tenants point of view. I am confused by some of the things I have read.

Why would anyone ( landlord, agent, tenant) not want to use the DPS service which is free??

Perhaps because people suspect free gifts?
    Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.
    ("I fear Greeks [who seem to be] bearing gifts").
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

No such thing as a free lunch eh Jeffrey???

J

Comment

Originally posted by Joannepowell View Post
        No such thing as a free lunch eh Jeffrey???

J
        Oh dear, don't get him started!

Bel, I intend to use the DPS as it doesn't seem any worse than the other schemes with regards to the protection offered to the LL (unless I have missed something?)

Comment

Well, I think I will be using the DPS service when it comes in. O.K. I will eventually loose the tiny amount of interest I currently earn on the tenants deposits that I hold, but the charges that the insurance based schemes are proposing which would enable me to hang onto the deposits are absolutely ridiculous for an independent landlord - even if a member of a landlords association. Am I wrong?

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Perhaps because people suspect free gifts?
            Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.
            ("I fear Greeks [who seem to be] bearing gifts").
            Ah, but:
            Non equus dona in gobbum inspectat

("Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              Ah, but:
              Non equus dona in gobbum inspectat

("Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"
              Perhaps "Non in buccam equi donati mira"?
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Tendo usura english sic nos can totus agnosco

Comment

Plain English

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
                  Tendo usura english sic nos can totus agnosco

In English please Diane!

Regards

J

PS. I won!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joannepowell View Post
                    In English please Diane!

Regards

J

PS. I won!!!!
                    Try using English so we can all understand is what I wrote, but you were nearly right Joanne.

CONGRATULATIONS on winning your case!

Comment

well done Joanne!

Comment

Thanks Diane & Poppy. Much appreciated! Judge granted me my possession order on the discretionary grounds! Yippee!!! He had me worried when he started talking about the ground 8 mandatory no longer applying....

Once he'd closed the case he went to the trouble of congratulating me on a very well presented case (administration etc). I WAS WELL CHUFFED!!!

I've been to property, got a locksmith to gain me entry and changed the locks! Fotunately, there were no clothes there and no food so think I can now safely assume abandonment! All his wife's furniture is still there except for a kettle she'd left there. & an electric fire and some bedding of mine had gone missing but wife just been on phone saying he's been on to her and said he will get them back to me. Property has faired rather well considering.... though there is damage to the laminate flooring and a stain on a brand new stairs carpet! Bang goes what's left of his deposit after court fees etc! What a shame TDS not yet in.....

J

Comment

Excellent news, Joanne! Glad to see the good guys can win in the end, but blimey doesn't our "justice" system take its time? Batman and Robin never had to put up with all this....

Comment

Record Breaker!

Originally posted by Miffy View Post
                            Excellent news, Joanne! Glad to see the good guys can win in the end, but blimey doesn't our "justice" system take its time? Batman and Robin never had to put up with all this....

Thanks Miffy. Re the system taking it's time I suppose you could actually say in this instance I came off lightly. It's got to be one of the shortest tenancies / quickest evictions on record I reckon (when you consider that it was a 6mth AST starting 4th November (due to expire 3rd May)! Tenant checked in 4th Nov and was chucked out 15th March - not bad going really....

I'm now actually quite glad that the character stole my parcel because if he hadn't the property wouldn't have been searched during his arrest and all the catalogue deception would have remained unknown to me for some time!!! Scarey when you think about it....

Kind Regards

J

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post

Thank you to everyone who responded to the subject of the original post.

If anyone has more to add regarding which scheme they will use and why would anyone ( landlord, agent, tenant) not want to use the DPS service which is free, please go ahead.
                              All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X