Joint tenancy confused landlord.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint tenancy confused landlord.

Hi I am a confused landlord - I have 2 tenants on a joint tenancy agreement, which has now become periodic. One has verbally given notice, the other was away at the time. I have not yet recieved notice in writing. What do I do if 1 tenant wants to continue the tenancy for a couple more months (ie not start again completely with a new 6 month AST), as I suspect he does?

Should I be reminding the first tenant that he needs to put his notice in writing or just hope that the tenants are able to put their differences aside and agree on a time convenient to both of them to end the tenancy? (They were friends but I think they have fallen out)

Thanks

Originally posted by daisy View Post
    Hi I am a confused landlord - I have 2 tenants on a joint tenancy agreement, which has now become periodic. One has verbally given notice, the other was away at the time. I have not yet recieved notice in writing. What do I do if 1 tenant wants to continue the tenancy for a couple more months (ie not start again completely with a new 6 month AST), as I suspect he does?

Should I be reminding the first tenant that he needs to put his notice in writing or just hope that the tenants are able to put their differences aside and agree on a time convenient to both of them to end the tenancy? (They were friends but I think they have fallen out)

Thanks

tenants are joint and severally liable (or should be anyway) and therefore if one person gives notice in writing then the tenancy should cease. if the other person wants to stay for a few months longer then suggest they come to an agreement with the other party to continue the tenancy.

otherwise they both leave and the party that wishes to remains signs another fixed term contract, providing they can afford the place on their own.

Comment

Thanks Poppy, I'm not sure whether the first tenant knows that he needs to put his notice in writing, what if he just moves out? If I tell him to put notice in writing and he does so, what position does that leave me in legally if I continue to accept rent from the second tenant?

My friends had a joint tenancy, one of them moved out, and the other one moved someone else in without telling the landlord, but the letting agency were aware and let the tenancy continue in the original names for a while.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
        mandm
        This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
        Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
        I served the...
        21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
      • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
        MrShed
        JK - there are *some* upsides of taking a deposit. The main two for me:
        1) Regardless of what it can feel like on here, the majority of tenants do not know they can play the system in this way.
        2) There is something to be said for the mindset of a tenant who has something "invested"...
        21-07-2017, 08:19 AM
      • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        MrShed
        I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
        20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jpkeates
        The ICO should be fining landlords for not registering as data processors - they're not.

The maximum amount of personal data held by landlords and agents arises out of tenant referencing, and, if that were to be destroyed after a couple of months, most landlords would arguably be pretty...
        21-07-2017, 08:16 AM
        JK0
        I'm afraid this rant won't help you much o/p, but:

STILL!? Still landlords are giving tenants a way to wheedle thousands out of them for no good reason?

I have come to the conclusion this whole deposit protection nonsense is a government sponsored scam. There is barely any...
        21-07-2017, 08:12 AM
        jpkeates
        They are probably claiming that you didn't protect the deposit and give them the Prescribed Information document, both of which you are required to do within 30 days of receipt of the deposit.

If you didn't do both things to the appropriate deadline, you didn't protect the deposit correctly....
        21-07-2017, 08:09 AM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jjlandlord
        Source: http://news.pwc.ch/31824/gdpr-key-ch...-eu-companies/

That being said, I don't think it will have much impact on landlords:

I don't think that'll be the case. References are legitimate and widespread.

21-07-2017, 07:51 AM
      • Help. Scam/ fraud letting
        Hayleydenice93
        Hiya

i need some advise on my situation in regards to this flat offered to me and my partner. We viewed a flat which was in an old office block which had been converted into service apartments and then refurbished into flats.

The agency we viewed the flats through did not want...
        20-07-2017, 20:59 PM
      • Reply to Help. Scam/ fraud letting
        theartfullodger
        You do not have to own a place to be the Landlord. Suspect they rent from owner (their Landlord), they then rent (as your Landlord) to you.

Doubt there's any chance of getting proper tenancy from them. You could sign licence, move in, then try and get rights as an AST Tenant (eg sue for...
        21-07-2017, 07:46 AM
      • Claiming for Non protected deposit
        charliesugar
        This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
        She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
        27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
      Working...
      X