Entitlement of DSS / Council to claim back rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement of DSS / Council to claim back rent

If a DSS tenant is making false claims and the DSS decide to recoup as much of their owed money - can the DSS obtain it back from the landlord?

I am under the impression they can do this if rent has been paid directly from the DSS to the landlord but not if the DSS have paid the money to the tenant instead?

Advice please.

Zebra - I was worried about the implications of this and a thread (Housing Benefit - Fraudulent claim) was posted recently. As you will see i went straight to the 'horses mouth' and contacted the local borough council.

Have a look at this thread and hopefully this will help you.

Comment

If the rent is paid directly to the landlord, and the tenant is claiming wrongly, then the coucil will recoup from the landlord. If the rent is paid to the tenant then the landlord will not have to pay any overpayment back. If there is a claim back from the council, they by law have to give you notice in writing and you do have the right to appeal.

Comment

I don't think it is as straight forward as this Plusbit. From what I can gather every case will be judged on its merit.

I have had several conversations with the 'claims officer' at my local borough council over the past week who informs me that it would be unlikely that they would purse the Landlord even if the money had been paid direct to him instead of the tenant. The only time they would do this is if they had reason to believe that the Landlord knew a fraudulent claim had been made and had failed to report this.

She also gave me the impression that different borough councils take different stances on this subject.

It is a grey area and i think they would find it very difficult to prove you knew a fraudulent claim had taken place. My advice would be to contact your local benefits officer and discuss any concerns with them.

Comment

Although all councils have their own ways of doing things, there is a govement law that covers all councils. If the housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord the council will 99% of times claim it back from them, but there is a appeals procedure, and they HAVE to put it tom you in writing and give you 28 days to appeals, this is not differenct councils but all councils, and unfortunatly the people in the benefit office will not know, you will have to speak to a senior housing officer. If benefit is paid to the tenant then they can not claim anything from the landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
            BouwensPB
            I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
            26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
          • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
            Galatea
            I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
            27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Pb21
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Galatea
            Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
            The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
            27-07-2017, 22:13 PM
          • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
            IoIo
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
            26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
          • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
            IoIo
            Thank you all for your comments. Very useful, informative and much appreciated.

The tenants are "moving out" on the last day of the current tenancy i.e. at the end of the term. My understanding is that if they're all listed as the "Tenant" then if one gives notice it's...
            27-07-2017, 21:23 PM
          • This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
            Berlingogirl
            This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think? Any insights? My ad is on Gumtree.

"Hello, I'm A***** a British America Business man, I have a business project in your area and I'll like to rent your apartment for the period of 6 month and I'll like to know...
            27-07-2017, 13:57 PM
          • Reply to This is a NO isn't it? Seems iffy to me, what do you think?
            Berlingogirl
            I'm trying to , jta, but I think he knows I know....
            27-07-2017, 20:16 PM
            Wright76
            You are also aware you are now liable to pay her a penalty of up three times the deposit value?.

My experience of a drug addict is that they will leave with a financial offering.

Strike a deal taking into account your likely penalty and eviction costs and offer her an amount...
            27-07-2017, 19:10 PM
            theartfullodger
            Check insurance for what you must do knowing what you do....
            27-07-2017, 19:00 PM
          Working...
          X