LA refuses to release deposit unless I give current address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LA refuses to release deposit unless I give current address

This is related to my previous thread, mods feel free to merge when you think appropriate.

I feel this is so good it merits its own thread.

The LA and myself have agreed the amounts of the deposit to be disputed through the TDS.

So for the purpose of returning the undisputed amount back, they asked for my current address and bank account info. I gave the bank info but told them to use the old address to send me letters, since I have set up Royal Mail forwarding and it will redirect post. I do not want them nor the LL to know where I currently live.

They are saying they won't release the undisputed amounts unless I give them my current address.

I am struggling to come up with a reply in a civilised tone. Any suggestions?

I don't do TDS but was it a condition of your deposit contract that you give them a new address?

I might, in this situation give the address of a friend for convenience(after having consulted with the friend first). Surely all you want is the cash and quickly?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I don't believe they have any right to require your current address (considering the deposit remains your money at all times except any agreed deductions), so just tell them this and maybe inform them that they will be illegally withholding your money and you'll take action against them which may include criminal charges of theft etc.

Comment

Interlaken,

It's on a section on their "Guidance to Tenants" document which came with the contract.

"Failures by all Tenants to provide forwarding addresses and email addresses may delay if not prevent the return of deposit monies. "

At this point I am thinking of including a claim for this "undisputed" amount with the rest of the claims for the TDS

Comment

Claim from who - the TDS or a moneyclaim online?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

A claim with the TDS, along with the rest of my dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by 8086 View Post
              so just tell them this and maybe inform them that they will be illegally withholding your money and you'll take action against them which may include criminal charges of theft etc.
              They will have a good laugh at that threat over their morning tea.

As stated, just give them an address of a friend/relative.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

They are asking specifically for the forwarding address.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                  They will have a good laugh at that threat over their morning tea.
                  That's entirely up to them. It won't stop them having to deal with the hassle, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunlight View Post
                    They are asking specifically for the forwarding address.
                    So?

Originally posted by 8086 View Post
                    That's entirely up to them. It won't stop them having to deal with the hassle, though.
                    Hassle of what? Laughing makes the day go quicker. I would certainly welcome it.
                    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                      Hassle of what? Laughing makes the day go quicker. I would certainly welcome it.
                      Well, they get the benefit of having a laugh, and the hassle of a possible investigation.

I mean, when the deposit has already been agreed to be paid, what else is it but pure and simple theft to not return it, with or without a new address? It's always the tenants money, therefore once the deductions are agreed, the money should be given to the tenant, and this shouldn't be dependent on having any personal information like addresses.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand why you don't want to provide the LL / LA with your current address? Are you expecting them to sue you for something that has not been mentioned yet?

If you are going to dispute the deductions, you are going to have to provide your address for the ADR process. Your submissions are visible and made available to the LL and LA so they can respond to your claims. You see theirs as well. They will get your address that way.
                        I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, solicitor or judge. It is simply my experience of being a landlord and what I have learnt along the way. I make no warranty for my opinion.

Comment

Sunlight, please report this to the police.
                          Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinkum View Post
                            I'm struggling to understand why you don't want to provide the LL / LA with your current address? Are you expecting them to sue you for something that has not been mentioned yet?

If you are going to dispute the deductions, you are going to have to provide your address for the ADR process. Your submissions are visible and made available to the LL and LA so they can respond to your claims. You see theirs as well. They will get your address that way.
                            Yes, I was thinking about that. I am going to the phone the TDS tomorrow to see if they disclose my address, as on the dispute form they say something to the effect that they guard data carefully etc, etc.

As to why I don't want them to have my address, is privacy not a good enough reason? The LA had my mobile number and for years they used to send me texts multiple times per month, advertising their properties. Even though I was already under contract with one of their clients!

Comment

A "forwarding address" can be anywhere that you want your post forwarded to, so a relative's or friend's address will do. Make it easy on yourself and don't give the agent any excuse to delay returning the deposit over something so silly ... Just give them an address, any address where you can pick up any correspondence they send you! Surely, life is too short ...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X