Broken glass door-landlord trying to make us pay

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Broken glass door-landlord trying to make us pay

    Hi All,

    This is my first post so sorry if it's not the usual standard!!

    We have a patio out to out balcony which had a double door- one half static and one half that slides back. The door is double glazed. We noted that a crack appeared in the static door on the 13th of March and notified the letting agent on the 14th. The crack appeared on the inside of one of the pane of glass- i.e. you can run your hand down both sides of the door without feeling the crack or fear of getting splinters in your hand. We feel it was due to the really cold winter when we had the heat up high so there were two very different temperatures against different sides of the glass.
    The letting agent did not come out to see the flat until 22nd of March stating that he needed to get photos/inspect for the manufacturers, which was fine.
    We had to push to follow up with him multiple times.
    Eventually today the director of the letting agency/owner of the investment property came to see it- without giving the 24 hour notice agreed by tenancy. He states that 'There are no mechanicals near the shatter point that might have caused thisand there is no doubt in my mind that the breakage has been caused by an impact (Strike or blow)to the internal pane of glass within the property, ie someone has accidentally hit, kicked or thrown something against the glass that has caused it to break'.

    They are now requiring full payment for the door.

    My questions would be:
    - on a double glazed door what is the liklihood of something hitting it and shattering the inside, but not the outside pane of glass (bit of a technical question!)
    - do we have any rights
    - what would people recommend us do

    Thanks in advance to any help or advice that can be provided on this or recommendation to be made. A glass of wine is called for to help with the stress levels!

    Originally posted by clarin View Post
    Eventually today the director of the letting agency/owner of the investment property came to see it- without giving the 24 hour notice agreed by tenancy.
    So you wasn't expecting someone to come and see it???

    Based on what you've said, I would be inclined to agree with him.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong


      One pane of glass can crack in a DG unit and you will never know why. If there has been no impact it could could movement in the surround wall/brickwork. Take a careful look and see if there are any cracks in the mortar/bricks or render outside.

      How old is the PD? Sometimes if you look at the silver strip in the cavity it says the maker and year of manufacture. Wear and tear depending on age will have to be taken into account. Make the landlord/agent research the year of installation (maybe when place was built)?

      No way should you be charged for a replacement complete unit or complete set of new doors. Demand the agent gets quotes to replace the damaged pane only. There are many small local glazers that do this sort of work so take a look on www.checkatrade for your area or to get a price and argue that against what the agent says.

      Freedom at the point of zero............


        If the unit was old, as Interlaken says look on the silver strip, I (as a LL) would replace the unit. Probably cost about £250.

        I might put your rent up next year though


          I worked in Household claims for years as a claims handler and a team leader.

          I think I probably dealt with hundreds of claims for damaged glass in windows/doors etc.

          What it sounds like is: thermal expansion. Basically what you said - it was cold outside, very warm inside, the glass expands... and cracks.

          The LA is not a glazer I assume? Therefore he is not qualified to comment on the cause of the damage. I suggest you ask the LL to send out a glazier (or organise one yourself) to come and quote and provide written confirmation of the cause of the damage. A professional glazier will be the best placed person to confirm what has happened.

          Best of luck.


            Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            So you wasn't expecting someone to come and see it???

            Based on what you've said, I would be inclined to agree with him.

            No what I was trying to put across is that we put a lot of pressure to him to come out and see it multiple times but he never attended- we wanted them to see it and have movement on resolving it. Then when he did arrive he did not give us the required 24 hours notice- a bit cheeky in this instance.


              Originally posted by tom1984 View Post
              The LA is not a glazier I assume? Therefore he is not qualified to comment on the cause of the damage.
              This is a really good point well made. You need a qualified glazier if there is such a thing and not a letting agent to assess this.
              The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


                I'm a landlord and also have over 20 years as technical manager/designer in windows/doors.

                The glass will not have failed due to thermal expansion etc it will have have failed due to external influence - how ever this is applied.

                But what I would have said is that the glass should have been toughened and would have crazed completely - as in the side window of a car door - or from a laminated glass which may show a crack - but this is more expensive and so rarer.

                Cost to repair is around £50/m2 for the glass and around £50/£100 to do it - depending where you are.


                  cost to replace the cracked unit with a new unit should be around £100 inc fitting - double glazed units are not fitted tightly into the frame there is always a gap (to allow for fitting but also would allow expansion) and plastic spacer blocks to hold the unit square/level when being fitted, then secured by the beading. double glazing actually allows both panes of the unit to expand/contract (thermal expansion co-efficient of glass is ??????) differently purely by its construction method.

                  I am with the smiths on this, it was broken due to an external force, either intentional of not!


                  Latest Activity


                  • Reply to Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                    by theartfullodger
                    Many many tenants leave when served s21 , more when court papers served etc etc. Any tidal wave/tsunami may become visible later than now, if at all.
                    21-05-2022, 12:04 PM
                  • Whatever happened to the tidal wave of evictions?
                    by jpkeates
                    The latest government figures for possession claims have been published, which cover January through March 2022.
                    That's post Covid restrictions and would probably include most of the last of the Covid backlog.

                    And there's no sign of the massive wave of evictions and resulting mass...
                    19-05-2022, 10:46 AM
                  • Reply to Ending contracts
                    by theartfullodger
                    Depends on what the agreement you have between you and agent or the terms and conditions they sent you when you started the relationship. Sadly can't read it from here.

                    See what it says, if you can't find anything ask agent to provide copy of such terms you agreed to.....and how/where...
                    21-05-2022, 12:02 PM
                  • Ending contracts
                    by Pineapple288
                    2 questions. I rent my BTL property through a letting agent. The current tenant has handed notice in. Am I right in saying I can now leave this letting agent?

                    Second question, the.reason I'm leaving the agent is because a very good friend of mine would like to rent he property. If she wants...
                    21-05-2022, 11:59 AM
                  • Reply to Noise from rented property
                    by zcacogp
                    Thanks for the help everyone. We've made (indirect) contact with the landlord who has been helpful, which is great. The council will be the next port of call if things don't sort themselves out.

                    Interestingly, the local university (Alma Mater of the students in question) seems to take...
                    21-05-2022, 10:50 AM
                  • Noise from rented property
                    by zcacogp

                    I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

                    We live in a house whose garden backs onto other gardens. One of those houses is let to a group of students.

                    The students are given to making noise in their garden, particularly...
                    18-05-2022, 11:36 AM
                  • Reply to Checks foe a Newbie
                    by boletus
                    List here (I've not checked if it's accurate or up to date e.g EICR);

                    21-05-2022, 10:49 AM
                  • Checks foe a Newbie
                    by AVJ113
                    Hello good people. I am currently in the process of buying my first BTL house. There is already a tenant, so I don't need to find one.

                    Can any anyone point me to a check list of 'must do legally', and also 'highly advised', please? I 've done my research but there's nothing like hearing...
                    20-05-2022, 16:33 PM
                  • Reply to Checks foe a Newbie
                    by AVJ113
                    Is there no one here who is prepared to present a list of a landlord's obligations (and highly advisable actions) upon a new tenancy, based on there own experience?

                    As I said I am already buying a house and there is a tenant in situ....
                    21-05-2022, 10:44 AM
                  • Reply to Checks foe a Newbie
                    by Another Fine Mess
                    Fortunately in the Uk (Scotland may be different) any house purchase is "Subject to Contract" which means that at any time you can change your mind. so if you have second thoughts you can back out.
                    I would also say that even if you have signed a contract, and before completion, you...
                    21-05-2022, 10:24 AM